PDA

View Full Version : chaeto in display tank?

ckovach333
06/13/2011, 09:18 PM
I dont have a sump or a fuge. Can I grow chaeto in my main tank? Is it that manageable?

TXSea
06/13/2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah, you can grow it in your display tank. Most people don't because its not appealing to look at. All you need is a clear flow through container to put the chaeto in and your tank lights will work to grow it as well. Make sure you put it in a good flow area as it needs to move some from the current to help it grow. You use a little soap dish holder from walmart or something to house your chaeto.

NaCL Aquarist
06/13/2011, 09:43 PM
Go to your local pet mega store and buy a clear hamster ball. The Chaeto ball will roll and tumble slowly in your tank, adding flow to the "cage". Kinda "otherworldly" in the tank. Takes some getting used to,...like having power poles in your view. Not aesthetic, but seems to work. When it no longer moves...errr....just sinks, remove part of the algae.

Chris27
06/14/2011, 07:50 AM
There are other types of macro algae that would look better in the display and do the same job. Penicillus, Caulerpa, and Halimeda are a few that come to mind.

Herk
06/14/2011, 07:56 AM
I have some in my mantis tank and it does fine. Some fish and inverts will eat it though.

Sk8r
06/14/2011, 08:16 AM
I advise against letting any macro that has roots get a start in your rockwork, especially if you have a tank too small for anything that will eat it---as in, under about 100 gallons.

charleneatkins
06/14/2011, 08:21 AM
I have read that it can get a hold on to your LR then spread and become a nusiance. I kept a small ball in my 14 bio next to the intake, It did not grow fast but I kept it trimmed. My green goby liked to browse around it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/14/2011, 09:28 AM
I like chaeto in my display, but tangs eat it so it won't last long, IME.

thebkramer
06/14/2011, 09:41 AM
I've done it.. and plan to again

Here is where I got the idea :bounce3:

Soap Dishes:

These provide a great way of harbouring cheato macro without the cheato getting into the plumbing ect. If you don't have a refugium then you can instantly with one or two of these in your display tank

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/soapdishes.jpg

came from Capns Log
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786183&page=2

Chris27
06/14/2011, 11:21 AM
That idea is cool for a fuge or something normally hidden from view, but it'll look pretty ugly in plain sight in a nice reef tank.

chocodile
06/14/2011, 11:25 AM
The only problem I have had with cheato is when a small piece breaks off and starts to grow in a place before you notice it and it gets out of hand. The stuff is awesome for keeping good tank balance. Could do a aquaclear HOB filter mod. Keeps things clean looking.

TXSea
06/14/2011, 03:55 PM
I'm currently in the position of modding my back sump of my biocube 29 to house a fuge and a media basket. Decided to toss out the bio balls as I was running out of space to properly place my heater, protein skimmer, and filter floss. If you can grow it in a hang-on type container on the back of your tank with a little led light over it, that is your best bet.

kingfisher62
06/14/2011, 09:35 PM
I dont have a sump or a fuge. Can I grow chaeto in my main tank? Is it that manageable?\

I have done it many times before. As Randy mentioned,certain will devour it on you . In my case it was my foxface.

kingfisher62
06/14/2011, 09:40 PM
One con is little pieces can start to clog powerheads and such. So keep an eye on that.

TXSea
06/14/2011, 09:46 PM
The great thing about chaeto algae is you can contain it and prevent it from spreading through your tank. Stay away from caulerpa as it will overtake your display. Good luck!

thebkramer
06/14/2011, 09:47 PM
Heres how I did mine.. excuse the veg clip :o

http://i51.*******.com/121vqxk.jpg

TXSea
06/14/2011, 09:57 PM
Veg clip? you mean the clip for sheets of algae? That's what I think I see in that pic. lol:lolspin:

Angel*Fish
06/14/2011, 11:01 PM
One con is little pieces can start to clog powerheads and such. So keep an eye on that.
That's the only problem I see with it, a little extra maintenance. In my experience chaeto is not hard to control and is not inclined to take a foot hold in the rock. Right now I have some in my display - I have it tucked between some rocks.

ckovach333
06/15/2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys and girls.

AmberFL03
07/18/2013, 09:14 PM
how does the soap dish for the chaeto attach to the tank wall? I have some coming in through fedex tomorrow with some crabs and a brittle star for my new tank set up 55 gal. I have a sump but I don't have lighting over the sump for the chaeto so I like the idea of keep it in the DT til I get the light for the sump but I'm not understanding how it's attached to the aquarium??

JohnnyHT
07/18/2013, 11:26 PM
Suction cups. Wal-Mart (depending on size) from $5 - $9. That's what I've been using since the first week and it's holding up fine (6 months)

AmberFL03
07/18/2013, 11:47 PM
That's what I was thinking as I pondered this lol. Awesome, thanks!

Nina51
07/19/2013, 06:01 AM
i've been wondering about this for months! i have a small ball of chaeto in my 29g cube fuge but the darn light that i spent a small fortune on won't stay stuck to the back of my tank.

marie, when you say "extra maintenance", do you mean you just keep it trimmed to keep it confined to one area?

Misled
07/19/2013, 07:59 AM
Nina, pieces will fall off and will need to be gathered once and a while to keep it from growing everywhere. Since it doesn't attach, you can siphon when doind water changes.

Oh yea, it's been months since Marie has been around. I sent her a message a few weeks back but haven't heard from her.

When's your next modeling gig???

Nina51
07/19/2013, 11:44 AM
thanks, jesse!

hmmm...has marie not posted in the lounge either? wonder wut's up with that!

i'll be in pittsburg in september at the grand opening of the lord and taylor new store, modeling the latest in summer fashion vacation wear. you should come! i gotta be back home in october, though. ;)

eta: didn't realize this was such an old thread. d'oh.

crankbait09
12/27/2015, 06:07 PM
I know this thread is old, but if I can ask a question about it. If random single strands of chaeto enter the display tank, when I am not looking.........Is it hard to remove once they start growing? How long would a single strand take to grow if it goes undetected?

I just added a clump to my sump and I am noticing a few small pieces randomly floating around.........Any need to worry about it making its way up?

pyithar
12/27/2015, 06:29 PM
no worries mate. small pieces of chaeto won't cause any problem imo. caulerpa are harder to remove since they have roots.

curiouser
02/19/2018, 08:55 PM
Is chaeto the only macroalgae that doesn't go sexual?