PDA

View Full Version : maroon clownfish and cleaner wrasse

richie1m
06/14/2011, 07:49 AM
I just purchased a maroon clownfish and it looked like my cleaner wrasse was trying to attack him. I thought at first he was trying to clean him but no he wasn't and now my clown is in hiding. Is this normal???

xtlosx
06/14/2011, 07:58 AM
How big are they in relation to each other? The Maroons are notorious for being fiesty clowns, and I have a feeling the tables will turn when the Maroon is 4x the size of the cleaner wrasse...

richie1m
06/14/2011, 08:07 AM
I have 250 pounds of live rock with many caves and my tank is 6 feet long. Wrasse is about 2.5 inches and marroon is about 1 inch. Any suggestions? Should I just leave them alone?

zeeter
06/14/2011, 10:17 AM
That wrasse will be in for a shock if he keeps it up. One nip from the maroon and he could be missing a fin. Even at 2.5:1 size advantage. The only clown I'd say is nearly as dangerous as the maroon is the fire clown.

richie1m
06/14/2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback you certainly put a smile on our faces. The thing is he has not eatin since yesterday because he's hiding, should I try to target feed him or just let him be?

zeeter
06/14/2011, 08:35 PM
I think once he stakes out his territory he'll become more aggressive. That is, unless the wrasse injured him. Then all bets are off.

richie1m
06/15/2011, 01:33 AM
I don't think he's injured he's just scared. Hope he comes out though, would be ashame if he stays in hiding.

jon1985
06/15/2011, 09:02 AM
I have a pair of gold stripe maroons and the female at 2 1/2" will put my hippo tang at 4 1/2" in its place if he ****es her off or gets to close.

Im sure once he is comfortable he will come back out.

ChuckLawson
06/15/2011, 09:25 PM
My guess is that he's adding that cleaner wrasse to the list of fish he'll be revisiting in a few months :-)

If maroon clowns weighed 30lbs and had opposable thumbs, they might become the dominant form of life on the planet...

Mike31154
06/15/2011, 11:40 PM
Could be a while until he comes out & eats. When I introduced my first Maroon, it didn't eat for a week, and that's without having a Wrasse to deal with. The Maroon & a Blue Devil Damsel were the first two additions to my system. Both juvis & they stayed out of each other's hair. I was concerned since the Clown would do laps back & forth along the glass all day, no idea where he got the energy without eating. Then, just like that, after about a week he started chowing down. He is now the 'she' of a breeding pair in my system and although she's likely one of the more docile Maroons on record, she will defend her territory & mate if threatened. I can actually get in there with my hand without her getting too upset as long as I don't get too close to the pair's BTA. If I stick a toothbrush in there to scrub some algae, she goes ballistic.

richie1m
06/16/2011, 06:54 AM
Great to know that bescause it's been 3 days and he still has not eaten. I noticed he comes out of his cave but stays very close to it just in case wrasse gets near him. But you guys are great in helping us out in this situation, it gives me peace of mind knowing that everything will be all right. Thanks

richie1m
06/16/2011, 07:25 PM
Well good news he ate today!!!!! He is still shy but trying to come out slowly and watching out for wrassee

pentrix2
06/17/2011, 05:57 AM
good to hear. for your size tank and with that amount of rock along with hiding places, i would leave him be just like how you are doing now.

Reefer-Dude1888
06/23/2011, 04:23 PM
Hi just browsing your post good to here the little fellas doin well i have a pair and i call the big female the bulldog of the tank to be honest they are one of my favourite fish heres a little vid of mine the male is behind the nem tending to the eggs poor little guy she only lets him out to feed and they say its a mans world tell the little male that lol..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-e43jc_WL8

richie1m
07/11/2011, 01:57 PM
Love the vid reefer. Its been about a month now and hellboy is doing great :D I have a domino damsel who is mia and everyone is stayin away from him. I guess they witnessed an attack of his fury!

obscenecreation
07/11/2011, 06:55 PM
I had a large maroon the I cycled a small 10 gallon with I later put in a cleaner wrasse thatwS small still very young and it did the same for a couple days until the clown started letting him clean him