PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Confused about hitchhikers

SarahE
06/14/2011, 11:02 AM
I just discovered some web-like stuff in my tank that looks like pictures I've seen of mucus from vermetid snails. I have no idea what they are, if they're bad, and how to get rid of them. I'm kind of concerned.

Also, I appear to have at least one very small baby jellyfish. Is that bad?

I haven't bought any live rock lately, and I don't keep the LFS water when I acclimate fish, so I'm not sure how I got new stuff in my tank? Is any of it bad? What do I do?

Sugar Magnolia
06/14/2011, 11:47 AM
More info about vermetid snails - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

SarahE
06/14/2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks. I found that too. Also I noticed that type of vermetid snails I have are the ones that wrap their shells in a circle, and they are little white circles on one wall of my tank.

This article seems to say that if the strands of mucus don't get out of hand and irritate anything else, these things aren't too bad?

Also, I thought longspine urchins were herbivores, but I think mine might be eating these snails? I hope?

briankmarsh1980
06/14/2011, 12:15 PM
there mucus webbing will **** off corals but other then that they are not bad, to kill them you can glue there hole shut

SarahE
06/14/2011, 12:24 PM
I don't have any coral yet, so I'm not really worried at this moment. Although, since mine are the round white ones, I don't know if they will just live in the substrate where I can't spot them when I kill off the ones on the glass...

tchndie
06/14/2011, 12:33 PM
I had a baby jelly fish show up in my tank after about8 months. It was cool until my blue throat trigger ate is right in front of my. Well I had a jelly fish!!!lol I have the same stars in my DT and they don't hurt a thing. I have a couple wrasses that keep them in check! This way the don't mass multiply!!