PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe butterflys

rad1687
06/14/2011, 08:00 PM
Is anyone here successfully keeping a butterfly fish in a mixed reef? I would love to add one, but don't want my corals mowed down. I have been looking into the copperband mostly, but also interested in pakistan butterflys. Thanks!

Gary Majchrzak
06/14/2011, 08:05 PM
research compatibility of reef animals- not whether or not they're "reef safe".
Why?
If it lives on a coral reef it eats something on a coral reef.

Regarding Chaetodonts read this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1983397&highlight=longnose)

rad1687
06/14/2011, 08:11 PM
I appreciate your help!

mkart
06/14/2011, 08:13 PM
I added a klien's butterfly to my secondary tank. Too early to tell but I hope it works out. It has been picking at aptasia so that ia a least a small positive. Unfortunately it appears to have ich. I am going to keep it well fed and watch it. I am not sure if ich can make it to my DT through the water column.

Hal
06/15/2011, 11:58 AM
I am not sure if ich can make it to my DT through the water column.

Ich has a free-swiming stage during it's lifecycle, so the answer is yes, it can.

aleonn
06/15/2011, 12:45 PM
The Yellow Pyramid Butterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis) and Zoster Butterfly (Hemitaurichthys zoster)are planktivores (eat out of the water column) and considered reef safe. They're out of stock on Live Aquaria, but you can do a search for them to check out their descriptions. I have the yellow pyramid in QT right now, so I haven't had a chance to observe it with corals.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/15/2011, 01:16 PM
I've had several CBB over the years with no problems with any of them.

My current one has been in my 400G mixed reef for a little over a year now. I'm still trying to ween him off of frozen foods.

My CBB before him was in the tank for about 5 years. Once him and his mate ate all of my Apistaia, they began eating pellets with all the other fish. Never a probelm. Lost his mate to a sting by a scribbled rabbit fish, their posinious you know. Lost the last CBB to a pump outage due to a tripped GFCI. he soffuicated.

Crush Coral
06/15/2011, 01:24 PM
I have heard stories of CBB decimating invert populations or eating the eyes off crabs. Since inverts is the main reason I have a reef tank, that has kept me from getting one. Could I get some experience laden responces from some of you please?

Gary Majchrzak
06/15/2011, 03:13 PM
I never heard of any CBB eating crab eyes.

Inverts are animals without a backbone. (This includes corals, clams, anemones etc.etc.etc.)
The only inverts that I've had CBB's bother were polychaetes: "fanworms", "featherdusters", and small motile worms living in the sand and rockwork.... and sometimes CBB's will even eat Aiptasia anemones :)

Whisperer
06/15/2011, 05:07 PM
My CBB picked on my clam's mantle (warts). I never owned a racoon butterfly but I was told they are good hair algae grazers.