PDA

View Full Version : Making the Jump

esine
06/16/2011, 08:18 AM
My tank for the last year has been an agressive tank. It has 125 pounds of live sand, 40 pounds of live rock, and about another 100 pounds of dead coral. After my trigger went berserk I kind of want a calmer tank. I want to sent up a beautiful reef. I need to know what equipment is key though. Here are some specs on my system.

125 Gallon tank
45 gallon sump currently running of carbon and bio-mesh
SWC Cone Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizer
I have a powerhead rated for 1400 g/h
Hamilton Reef lights (the jerks at my LFS talked me into buying these lights, I had no knowledge or use for them other than I wanted a cool moon light. I know I would need new bulbs.)
What else should I do/ get?

ed102475
06/16/2011, 08:29 AM
What are your lights T-5 /MH ? How many bulbs and what are they ?
you say 100lbs dead coral , I guess you mean the skeletal remains right ?
I would start with soft corals if you perimeters are OK . Zoa , mushrooms , ect.

peppie
06/16/2011, 08:34 AM
I would suggest more than one powerhead. You will find that you are left with dead spots with just one.
How many watts does your lights put out?
It is also good to have an ATO.
I feel it very important to have an ro/di unit.

esine
06/16/2011, 08:34 AM
There are 2 bulbs, One is blueish and says Hamilton Technology F08T5/ ACT 03 420 NM, The other is white and says Hamilton Technology F80T5/ DAYLIGHT 10KK.
Yes it is the skeletal remains ( fan corals, barnacles, ect.)
Are anemones difficult? Do you quarantine corals?

esine
06/16/2011, 08:36 AM
I would suggest more than one powerhead. You will find that you are left with dead spots with just one.
How many watts does your lights put out?
It is also good to have an ATO.
I feel it very important to have an ro/di unit.

I was going to make my own ATO and I do not have an ro/di unit. I was usually just using distilled water. Is this bad?