PDA

View Full Version : What is this coral?

bElwell
06/16/2011, 08:20 PM
Any thoughts? Similar to a fox coral but doesnt come out as much and is an odd white coral.

Jaweeha
06/16/2011, 08:28 PM
That would appear to be an extremely unhealthy lobo

bElwell
06/16/2011, 09:01 PM
Hemmm. Very similar to a lobo and might even be one, but I don't think its unhealthy, it has been this way for over 2 months and continues to grow.

smtank
06/16/2011, 09:03 PM
It looks like it has expelled all zooxanthellae. Honestly I has seen a lot of lps in my years of reefing and have never seen one so white and or so badly bleached and still alive.

bElwell
06/16/2011, 09:08 PM
It eats very well and holds a constant color, not that of standard bleaching, but I could be wrong as it is my first of the kind. I agree it is lobo, but my lfs couldnt even figure it out and it has been this way for 2 months and still growing.

S13<3
06/16/2011, 09:23 PM
it doesnt look good man, if its eating and alive for 2 months it "may" live and color up but im pretty sure its bleached to hell, also ther isnt much polyp extension, given the size of the skeleton the polyps should be larger, heres a pic of my lobo
http://i56.*******.com/15mxqx0.jpg

Jaweeha
06/16/2011, 09:24 PM
What are you running for lights? It's pretty safe to say that they are sufficient, considering all the other healthy happy coral around it, but I'll ask anyways...also, what are your water parameters? I'm surprised it's lived 2 months like that, and growing at that...

bElwell
06/16/2011, 09:42 PM
4 T5 VHOs 75gallon tank. Getting very good growth out of all of our corals including LPS. This coral however is a new addition that was at LFS for 2 months in T5 tank as well, which is why I feel the bleach is not a reasonable option, but it does look like it. I am going to just keep it in my tank and see how it does over next month. Fingers crossed.

RokleM
06/17/2011, 07:49 AM
[moved]...

returnofsid
06/20/2011, 07:06 AM
Very bleached out and unhealthy. Flesh should be inflated and plump, well above the skeleton. Flesh should have color. If it's been this color, for a long time, it could be that not only did it lose ALL of it's zooxanthellae, but there isn't a similar enough species of zooxanthellae, in the tank, for it to absorb new zooxanthellae. If that's the case, the coral will always remain bleached and will no longer be able to preform photosynthesis, so will always need to be fed.