PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade question...

WPaoli
06/16/2011, 09:15 PM
Hello, all.

I have a quick question that I haven’t been able to find a direct answer for by doing a search. Hopefully you all can help me out.

I currently have an established 29g tank with 20lbs of sand and 30lbs of live rock. I want to upgrade to a 93g which will go in the same spot as the 29g. I plan to add dry rock and sand (from Marco Rocks), and once the dust settles, add my livestock.

I guess what I’m asking is: is it prudent to transfer everything over without waiting a few weeks for a “cycle” to take place in the new tank? I figure that since I’m not adding any “new” live rock or sand that it should be okay.

I would appreciate your comments. Thank you.

jrbills12
06/16/2011, 09:29 PM
There will be atleast a small cycle from changing tanks (it wouldn't be weeks long though thats for sure). I would wait a couple days minimum for the bacterial population to grow large enough for the larger tank. You wouldn't want to risk the livestock. Just check the water and watch for a cycle, but I for sure wouldn't put anything in the tank until you know.

bigworm175
06/16/2011, 09:42 PM
If you aren't adding any new live rock your cycle will be small if any. I have moved all the established rock from one tank to a newly set up tank with no noticeable cycle. Sand is another issue. Transferring sand is tricky and I have never personally done it so hopefully someone who has can chime in.

ihavtats29
06/16/2011, 09:45 PM
transfuring sand from 1 tank to another is looking for trouble and algea issues that will not easly go away, its best from my opinion to just toss the old sand

Polahbear
06/16/2011, 09:48 PM
The dry rock will still have some stuff in it that will need to be cycled off, and depending on amounts of dry vs what you already had it could create bad water quality for your live stock