PDA

View Full Version : Backslidden Aquarist Needs Water Advice

dclaghorn
06/16/2011, 10:50 PM
My work and kids have kept me crazy-busy for the last 9 months. I’ll bet I’ve done one 5 gallon water change, for my 120 gal, in that time. I haven’t even checked my chemistry in a coon’s age. My fish are all cool, my generic polyps have even recently spawned, my superman ‘shrooms are doing strangely well, yellow sponges are routinely showing up (and growing!), and my skimmer is finally working well.

BUT, I know that I cannot continue in this “sinful life” if I really desire to fully exploit and enjoy this hobby. So, my question is this… How would y’all recommend changing the water out and get things right? Should I just go buy a 50 lb bucket of Tropic Marin/Reef Crystals and do 5-10 gal water changes daily? Every other day? Mix 80 gal and do one MASSIVE change?

I’m ready to repent and get back on the straight and narrow, “Father”, I just need absolution and advice on how to get back on track.

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate the advice and input.

HighlandReefer
06/17/2011, 06:42 AM
What are your water parmaters: salinity, alk, calcium, magnesium, nitrate & phosphate?

Sudden very large water changes may cause harm to your organisms. ;)

Ron Reefman
06/17/2011, 07:11 AM
Backslidden,

If your current perameters are OK there isn't really a need to rock the boat too much. I'd get some good salt and start with some small water changes, say 5 to 10 gallons every 2 or 3 days. Even a 5g change 3 times a week and in 2 weeks you've done close to 25% of your tank. However, if you have issues you haven't confessed to us, you may want to do a little more (and maybe a few Hail Marys). I have a 400g system and I do 25g every 2-3 weeks (more like every 3 weeks).

tmz
06/17/2011, 08:09 AM
I prefer smaller changes to keep things like alk, traces ,etc constant. Prsonally, I change 1%pr day. plus a bit for matenance.

aculross
06/17/2011, 11:36 AM
Step 1 - get your current parameters to see where you are - what are nitrates? Calcium? Alk? Mg? Phosphate?