PDA

View Full Version : Bandit Reef

michael_cb_125
06/18/2011, 11:31 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am excited to say that I am finally to the point where I am ready to start my Deep Reef. I have had this system up and running for over a year and it is an amazingly stable tank. The specs are as follows:

Elos System 120 (48x22x19)
I am currently running this as a stock system, using the Elos NS 1000 protein skimmer. I have a 2" sandbed that consists of Indo Black Sand and about 45 pounds of rock (maybe.). The only inhabitants are my pair of Bandit Angelfish, scarlet skunk Shrimp, Blood Fire Shrimp and some random urchins. For lighting I am currently using a single 3w LED spot and ambient room lighting.

I feel as though this is the best tank that I have had for starting a NPS tank. My water parameters are very stable, I have a TON of mussels and other bivalves in the rockwork that are thriving and I have 0 phosphate. I am not sure what the mussels are feeding on, but they have been in the tank since day one (arrive in LR) and have multiplied.

I am wanting to replace the NS protein skimmer with something a little more powerful, since I will be feeding much more. Also, I am looking into adding more lighting to the tank. I am seriously contemplating the new dimmable sunpower. I feel as though this on a low setting would provide a great look for a NPS tank, any thoughts?

So, I guess this is the start of my Non Photosynthetic Deepwater Reef Tank.
Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

~Michael

michael_cb_125
06/18/2011, 11:52 AM
Here is a video that gives you an idea of the tank.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/th_MVI_1015.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/?action=view&current=MVI_1015.mp4)

~Michael

uhuru
06/18/2011, 12:19 PM
Awesome! What species of corals/inverts are you plaaning to keep? This will largely determine what you need. Plan things out now the right way and save yourself a lot of trouble down the road.

skibum9884
06/18/2011, 12:36 PM
I can't wait to see this progress! Knowing how Michael does this stuff I'm sure it'll be incredible!

velvetelvis
06/18/2011, 06:37 PM
I remember this tank from the Reef Fishes forum. Lovely, just lovely. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Terryz_
06/19/2011, 05:23 AM
AWESOME Theme...

michael_cb_125
06/19/2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone!

I have been trying to decide on a new skimmer and I am having a hard time.
Does anyone have any ideas.

~Michael

Aquabacs
06/20/2011, 04:19 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am excited to say that I am finally to the point where I am ready to start my Deep Reef. I have had this system up and running for over a year and it is an amazingly stable tank. The specs are as follows:

Elos System 120 (48x22x19)
I am currently running this as a stock system, using the Elos NS 1000 protein skimmer. I have a 2" sandbed that consists of Indo Black Sand and about 45 pounds of rock (maybe.). The only inhabitants are my pair of Bandit Angelfish, scarlet skunk Shrimp, Blood Fire Shrimp and some random urchins. For lighting I am currently using a single 3w LED spot and ambient room lighting.

I feel as though this is the best tank that I have had for starting a NPS tank. My water parameters are very stable, I have a TON of mussels and other bivalves in the rockwork that are thriving and I have 0 phosphate. I am not sure what the mussels are feeding on, but they have been in the tank since day one (arrive in LR) and have multiplied.

I am wanting to replace the NS protein skimmer with something a little more powerful, since I will be feeding much more. Also, I am looking into adding more lighting to the tank. I am seriously contemplating the new dimmable sunpower. I feel as though this on a low setting would provide a great look for a NPS tank, any thoughts?

So, I guess this is the start of my Non Photosynthetic Deepwater Reef Tank.
Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

~Michael

Looking forard to seeing the build Michael

0 phosphate for now ;)

Mike

michael_cb_125
06/20/2011, 04:28 PM
Thank Mike!

I will try to get a few pictures of the tank as it is now soon.

~Michael

Terryz_
06/23/2011, 07:55 PM
The bandit pair is awesome enough.. I am not sure if they will get nippy on sun corals, but it would look nice in your tank setting..

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

michael_cb_125
06/24/2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks Terryz,

I have actually kept both of these angels in with some fleshy LPS and soft corals with great success. Neither of these fish have ever bothered any corals, so hopefully I will be able to have happy open polyps. :)

~Michael

Terryz_
06/24/2011, 07:53 AM
In that case, I think a sun coral dominated tank would do well for you... With Dendrophyllia, Balanophyllia, Rhizo...

michael_cb_125
06/27/2011, 04:03 PM
Terryz_- I have actually kept a small NPS nano dominated by suncorals and tube anemones. I kept a trio of tiny C. multicolor in that system.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/SANY0360.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/SANY0358.jpg

My plan for this tank is to focus on the Tubeastreas and Denrophyllias, Balanophyllias and Rhizos. I also want to try Colangia and Culicia and some more difficult sea fans. The base of the rockwork will be spotted with various tube anemones.

I think that I have finally narrowed down all the skimmers that I have been looking at to the Skimz SK 181 Kone. Does anyone here have any experience with this skimmer? Should this size be fine for a 92 gallon NPS tank that is heavily fed?

Thanks

~Michael

Terryz_
06/28/2011, 04:34 AM
I am using the first generation of Skimz, before they went international with the new generation... I would say I am very satisfied with the performance, I am getting very very black and thick skimmate every week and I have to clear it every week as it would get very thick and smelly...

Colangia and Culicia would be nice in addition to all the suncorals... Too bad I dont get them here in Singapore...
Arent you worried about the tube anemone? I am very skeptical about keeping them with fishes...

michael_cb_125
06/28/2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the input Terryz.

I am pretty sure that I am going to give the Kone a try. I should be placing the order this weekend.

As for the tube anemones, I have never had any issues with em eating my fish. I keep em well fed, and I keep my fish healthy and strong enough to pull free of any sticky tentacles. That said, all of my fish are angels, butterflies and such.......not small gobies, wrasses and the like.

~Michael

Terryz_
06/28/2011, 06:38 PM
Hi Micheal, I think you would be satisfied with the performance...

I was worried that the fishes would get stung and etc.. I have small gobies, damsel and anthias, I think I will stay away from tubes..

Aquabacs
06/30/2011, 12:51 PM
Mike just Keep in mind that if you order one of the skimmers, find a vendor that has the replacement pumps in stock or buy an extra pump at time of purchase of your skimmer. Nothing is worst than having your skimmer fail and have to track down someone that sells a replacement pump for it. Havent seen the direct replacement pump for the Kone offered online, just the pump for their older models. Skimmer does look visually very nice though.

Mike

michael_cb_125
07/01/2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the advice Mike!

What skimmer are you using?

~Michael

Aquabacs
07/01/2011, 10:32 PM
Mike right now it is a Needle Wheel Bubble Magnus NAC6 (skimmer originally came with mesh wheel). Very good bang for the buck skimmer; replacement pumps are available under 40 bucks and ceramic shafts around 10. I have 2 back up pumps with needle wheels on hand, plus 2 ceramic shafts, and a complete additional skimmer in case of an emergency. On my tank with the needle wheel the skimmer showed to have better recovery time between feedings then when the mesh wheel was used with the NAC6. Added bonus of not having to worry of the mesh wheel getting clogged or breaking apart.
If I went for the skimmer again I would go with the pro version that has the aquabee pump.

Mike

velvetelvis
07/02/2011, 02:18 PM
Terryz_- I have actually kept a small NPS nano dominated by suncorals and tube anemones. I kept a trio of tiny C. multicolor in that system.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/SANY0360.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/SANY0358.jpg

:love2:

So pretty. Do you still have your angels?

michael_cb_125
07/02/2011, 05:33 PM
Hey velvetelvis!

I actually sold the entire system to a good friend of mine, to fund the purchase of a fish I had wanted for a long time. ;)

~Michael