PDA

View Full Version : Stoney Coral?

studentdriver
06/18/2011, 12:57 PM
Do you have to glue LPS and SPS on a rock for it to grow? Will it grow if you put it on a sand bed with enough light?

If you put let say a Chalice or Montipora on a rock and it grows and encrust it. How do you frag or move it? Do you have to take the whole rock out to cut it?

Wouldn't that destroy your aquascape every time you need to trim or frag a coral?

Gangous
06/18/2011, 01:01 PM
Clip it in the tank monti might be tough if u wanna frag a encrusting just glue a sm pice of rock for it to grow over then break it off

Faye
06/18/2011, 01:09 PM
Some people on this site really need to learn how to structure a sentence.

OP, your coral will grow on the rock and sand. If a piece of montipora encrusts on your rock, you can break it off.

studentdriver
06/18/2011, 01:19 PM
So I guess there's no two ways around it. Neither have a nice aquascape or a frag farm tank if you want to frag corals in the future.

BrokeColoReefer
06/18/2011, 03:16 PM
Some people on this site really need to learn how to structure a sentence.

english is a second language to alot of folks here. Good advise but this could have been left out.

Branching frags just break a branch

Plating frags just break off a plate

encrusting frags you can usally peel a big enough pice up to mount, or like a previous poster stated, you can put a small rock next to the colony and let it incrust. No need to disrupt anything when you take frags, you will surely have some accidentally anyway when you do tank maintenance.

AquaReeferMan
06/18/2011, 06:34 PM
Some people on this site really need to be a little more polite...

As my corals grow and I need to frag them I usually just break them off or cut them. As stated above you can place plugs or rubble around encrusting corals and remove them once the coral has grown on it. Branching corals are rather easy, just a snip with some coral cutters and youre ready to go. Fragging is rather easy...

Most of my frags happen unintentionally when Im cleaning anyway.