PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used/using a bacterial denitrator?

The_Codfather
06/18/2011, 08:21 PM
I have a chance to buy a old style Aquaripure and was wondering if they are really with it?.. my NO3 run between 20-40 ppm and so far i have pretty much tried everything to bring them down from vodka dosing, adding a fudge with cheato, Rinse all frozen foods with ro/di with cutting back in feedings any pro's and cons would be really appreciated
PO4-0
NO2-0
ammonia-0
PH- 8.2-8.4
ALK-10
CA-460
SG.1.025
Temp 78-80

TIA

Sid

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2011, 07:12 AM
I'm not familiar with this unit, but many people find the carbon dosed denitrators tedious to control properly, although they can work well.

I cannot see how you would be unable to drop nitrate with organic carbon dosing (like vodka, although I prefer vinegar), unless some other side effect surfaced first. What went wrong?

The_Codfather
06/19/2011, 11:05 AM
I'm not familiar with this unit, but many people find the carbon dosed denitrators tedious to control properly, although they can work well.

I cannot see how you would be unable to drop nitrate with organic carbon dosing (like vodka, although I prefer vinegar), unless some other side effect surfaced first. What went wrong?
Hi Randy.. I did everything by the book with the carbon dosing as stated in the reefkeeping mag "Vodka Dosing...Distilled!"
by Nathaniel A. Walton (Genetics) and Matt Bjornson (Stony_Corals) but started to get cyano and dinos.. I just overcame the dinos with H202 dosing and the cyano went after i stopped the carbon dosing.. Would a sulfur denitrator be better?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/19/2011, 03:19 PM
OK, cyano with vodka is one reason I prefer vinegar, and a combination of vinegar and GFO, or perhaps vodka and GFO is a good way to avoid cyano and still drop nitrate. :)

The_Codfather
06/19/2011, 06:38 PM
I would be willing to try vinegar and GFO.. could you point me the right way on how to dose with vinegar or is it the same regiment as vodka?

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2011, 04:46 AM
It's pretty much the same. You need to dose about 8 times as much for the same amount of organic matter as it is much more dilute.

They both lower pH about the same amount overall, but vinegar has a larger initial pH lowering effect, so you might spread out the dosing, if you are using large amounts.

The_Codfather
06/20/2011, 05:12 AM
I have about 50gl water volume so what should i start off with?

allsps40
06/20/2011, 07:50 AM
The solution to pollution is dilution...or water changes.

The_Codfather
06/20/2011, 08:21 AM
The solution to pollution is dilution...or water changes.Not in my case and many others.. I have done 50% WC's before and the next day or so it's back up.. WC's are not the answer to everything.. Sometimes WC's can fuel a prob like dino's and diatoms

The_Codfather
06/20/2011, 08:43 AM
I really think i need to bring nitrate reducing bacteria up to par.. something is out of wack

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/20/2011, 10:15 AM
I think starting out with 5 mL of vinegar per day is a fine place to start. I dose abouit 88 ml per day to my system, which is a 120 display and maybe holds 300 gallons total rock and water.

You have a skimmer?

The_Codfather
06/20/2011, 10:38 AM
I think starting out with 5 mL of vinegar per day is a fine place to start. I dose abouit 88 ml per day to my system, which is a 120 display and maybe holds 300 gallons total rock and water.

You have a skimmer?Yes i use a skimmer.. a AquaC Remora Pro rated for 40-120gl used on a 40 breeder and 20gl sump.. I run it on a tad wet side but the skimmate is still nice a dark and i only empty the cup once a week with a clean.. So 5ml a day and slowly ramp up( like vodka) till NO4 starts to drop to 0 then cut back for maintenance.. also as you stated before about the PH drop.. I will break up the dose in two parts per day.. I will keep a eye on that and use a PH buffer when or if needed