PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Tank

Treed
06/21/2011, 08:38 PM
Im looking to set up a dwarf seahorse tank. I have an idea of how I want to do it and I want to know if its a good idea. My plan is to have a 5 gallon tank with a 2 inch sandbed for pods to live in and have a place for a few mangroves to root. Going to put 2 10k bulbs over the tank and grow some other marco algae. Also going to have a small HoB filter with some carbon and foam. Does this sound like a good setup for these little guys or is it a bad idea? Thanks!

Bluemon
06/21/2011, 08:52 PM
LOL. i have the same exact set up except without the mangroves. just make sure that the intake of the HOB filter is covered. otherwise, perfect.

Treed
06/21/2011, 11:21 PM
Awesome!! And how many do u have in there? Also how often do u do water changes? I assume that the macro helps keep levels down with all the bbs feeding. Did u mix and thing like maricle mud in with the sand to help?

Treed
06/21/2011, 11:24 PM
Would love to see a pic if possible of the whole setup

Bluemon
06/22/2011, 12:08 AM
im actually getting them next week :) im going to buy 8 but you will be able to keep as much as you want in there hypothetically. (20-30). im doing 1 water change a week. i also have four sexy shrimp and a lot of snails in there too.

Bluemon
06/22/2011, 12:09 AM
my substrate is more like gravel than sand, so i didnt mix any mud.

namxas
06/22/2011, 09:54 AM
One thing to be aware of if you're going with a "non-sterile" setup for zots is hydroid infestations, because they 'droids bloom due to the abundant amount of live food required to keep the zots fed. Hydroids can kill zots pretty easily.

You'll need to pre-mitigate this (most peeps use fenbendazole) or be ready to do a lot siphoning if they show up:

Lifted from the Disease & Treatment Forum of "the SH site that we can't mention here":

FENBENDAZOLE (granules) Dosage and Preparation Instructions Hydroids
Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole
Indication: hydroids
Brand Names: Panacur, Safe-Guard
Note: This treatment is ONLY recommended for Seahorse fry nurseries and Dwarf Seahorse tanks that
do NOT contain invertebrates/corals. (Nassarius sp. snails have been known to survive treatment).
Residual effects of this medication may make the tank inhospitable for invertebrates for up to two years
following treatment.
Dose at 1mg per gallon for light infestations.
Dose 2mg per gallon for heavy infestations.
Repeat every other day for three treatments.
• Purchase Fenbendazole granules available as 1gm packets.
• Thoroughly mix a single 1gm packet into 100ml of water. (100ml is equal to a little less than 1/2 cup).
Please note that the granules will not completely dissolve.
• This mixture will produce 2.22mg of Fenbendazole per ml.
• Add the appropriate dose to your tank.