PDA

View Full Version : Black Occellaris

dutch27
06/22/2011, 11:02 AM
So my black clowns started spawning a couple months ago and I started setting up to collect larvae and raise some clowns. Well, then I started fighting bryopsis, and my water got way out of whack, and the spawning behavior stopped. They also now seem to be considering moving out of my Duncan and into my Hammer, I guess their starter home just isn't getting it done anymore. :lmao:

The general question I have here is.... how long should I expect until they start spawning again? I've heard environmental changes can shut them down for up to 6 months. Meanwhile I have a nice bucket of roti's ready to go that I'm trying to keep up with.

I'm also thinking about putting in new rock and pulling out the rock with Bryopsis. I'm losing the battle and am tired of stressing the tank with Mg overload and infrequent water changes, probably just gonna jam in a home made phosban reactor. This could push off the spawning even longer. But if they've already stopped then I'm probably best just making the switch now since I probably have awhile until they start again anyway?

reefstew
06/22/2011, 09:00 PM
The problem with black ocellaris is they start spawning & I will get up to 5 batches of eggs in a row & then they stop for a few months or so & start laying again. My orange ocellaris go every 12-17 days & 3 pairs are spawning while 2 breeding pairs of black are not. I would also like to hear form breeders with black pairs.