PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy waspfish

mallorieGgator
06/22/2011, 02:30 PM
Are these fish reef safe? Are they ok with smaller fish like a possum wrasse?

snorvich
06/22/2011, 03:13 PM
Other than being eaten by them, the other fish won't have any problems. Ambush predators, eat fish, shrimp or whatever fits.

namxas
06/22/2011, 03:25 PM
There's no such thing as a "pygmy" waspfish...they're all small (3" - 4" range). Additionally, they have very small mouths, and they're bottom dwellers so they're pretty safe with other fish (they normally feed on small crustaceans). The "pygmy" thing must be salesmanship.

I'm guessing you've been looking at the redfins on DD? They're great little fish, but I do recommend weaning them in a QT before they hit the DT.

mallorieGgator
06/22/2011, 03:34 PM
Greg- thanks. The redfins are what I was looking at yes. :) I saw one for sale at a LFS labeled as Pygmy. Thanks for clarifying.

namxas
06/22/2011, 03:50 PM
The red-fins are more attractive to most peeps, but for a really awesome, gentle fish, the cockatoo waspfish is my fave. Fortunately, we never had to choose "either/or"... ;)

curlykid
06/22/2011, 03:58 PM
Greg, how big is your female now? you've had her for awhile right?

namxas
06/22/2011, 04:02 PM
We have one that's a bit >2", and another that's about 1". Our male is a good 3".

curlykid
06/22/2011, 04:04 PM
nice. I would love to keep a harem.

namxas
06/22/2011, 04:09 PM
The 1"-er is chillin' in a HOB fuge growout "tank" with our almost 1" dwarf stingfish (Minous pusillus). She's a real chow-hound tho and it can be tuff to get the food to the stingfish, who is just getting the hang of it.

Oddly enuff, the stingfish has mimicked her coloration and from a distance, it looks like there are TWO little redfins in the tank.

curlykid
06/22/2011, 04:13 PM
wow, just looked up the fish, looks cool. can't imagine it being that small! They can mimic colors? you should put a yellow tang in there! lol

namxas
06/23/2011, 12:39 PM
I don't really know if its "true" mimmicry or not, mostly because I've never seen another live specimen except in a You-Yube vid from Japan. However, it sure seemed odd that the stingfish took on the same coloration as the wasp...

That being said, we've been really fortunate to have most of our fish really "color-up" for us.