PDA

View Full Version : lifereef overflow anyone try this?

ryeguyy84
06/23/2011, 12:10 PM
I was thinking about making a cover for the lifereef overflow. has anyone done that? I was thinking or putting one for the part that is on the outside of the tank to keep the noise down. I think I'll have to make a few small holes in in to get some air in there but does anyone see a problem that i'm missing?

Thanks for the input in advance!:spin2:

Hal
06/23/2011, 12:36 PM
Nope, that should work. Let us know how much of a difference it makes. I might try it.

ryeguyy84
06/23/2011, 01:34 PM
my aquarium is right below my bedroom (loft style) so I can hear everything that happens with the overflow all night long. very annoying.

i'm going to give it a shot tonight. I'm not all that handy with acrylic (might try plastic) and on second thought I won't need holes because I doubt it will be airtight. if I figure it out i'll post some pics.

maybe a DIY....

ryeguyy84
06/24/2011, 05:56 AM
no idea how to post pictures, but I have one and it does muffle the noise making it way better.

ryeguyy84
06/24/2011, 05:57 AM
think I got it... its a little bit of a rough cut, I'm going to dremel is down and make it smother.

you get the point though.

greech
06/24/2011, 08:14 AM
Is that a sponge shoved in the drain?

If so do yourself a favor and make a Hofer Gurgle Buster. About $5 in parts, 30 minutes to put together and some adjusting to get the flow just right and you'll sleep much better from a noise, water quality and potentially overflowing perspective.

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

ryeguyy84
06/24/2011, 09:22 AM
I tried the gargle buster, it was okay but the sponge is way better. I clean it every other day.

maybe i did the gargle buster wrong but it wasn't all that quiet. I've been using the sponge for 6 months, are there any hidden dangers I should be afraid of? as extra protection I have a float switch that kills the pump when the water level in the return section of the sump falls below an inch of where the top off should turn on.

ryeguyy84
06/24/2011, 09:25 AM
I'm going to retry the gargle buster tonight I didn't fully read the instructions... specifically this section:

"The end of the air tubing should rest a little bit below the drilled holes." I had mine a couple of inches into the return tubing.