PDA

View Full Version : Tunze and Vortech working together via Apex

Demonic
06/23/2011, 12:55 PM
Can the Tunze and Vortech be ran together via the Apex. I have one 6305 and just picked up two Vortech MP40's and was wondering if they can somehow be ran together via the Apex. Can I have the 6305 on one side run, then have the vortechs off, and vice versa. Possible???

scsuboy18
06/23/2011, 02:00 PM
absolutely! Vortech via WXM...tunze via full apex or through VDM module.

Demonic
06/23/2011, 09:06 PM
I know they can both be controlled via the Apex, but can they work together via they Apex.

swearint
06/24/2011, 07:11 AM
What's the distinction?

Todd

swearint
06/24/2011, 08:15 AM
Nevermind, I get what you are asking. I don't use a Vortech, but I don't know of any issues that would prevent using a Tunze and Vortech simultaneously. They each use a different method of control.

Todd

aquamanic
06/24/2011, 09:23 AM
You can do it but through coordinating your program statements between the Vortech outlet(s) and the Tunze outlets(s). There's no way to have them 'aware' of each other per say. There are some things you can do with the 'if outlet' statement where one turns on when the other is off for example. But if you wanted to activate a specific profile with the Tunze when the Vortech is in Reef Crest mode for example, there's not going to be an automatic way - you would just have to coordinate the times manually.

Does that help? Not sure if that was your question or not.

Demonic
06/24/2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah, that pretty much answered my question. I am just going to get rid of the Vortech and get another Tunze to make it easier.
Thanks

Gordonious
06/27/2011, 05:46 AM
Basically he was asking if you could put them both into short pulse mode and have them put out the same waves at the same time working together. Or put them into Nutrient export mode and they would work together to have low flow followed by a surge. It isn't possible at least with version 4.05 of the firmware.

If all you wanted to do was have them on at full power for a second and then off the next second it would be possible with the Apex, but it doesn't appear as if you could ramp the Vortech up and down and have it really sync up well with a Tunze. I believe this is more of a limitation to the control of the EcoTech Marine product more then Neptunes fault.

Could be off on this. I don't own a WXM to control my Vortechs just read up on them as I would like to buy one.

Demonic
06/27/2011, 09:40 PM
I sold the vortech and purchased another 6305. It was a little too complex for me to figure out. But yes Gordonious 4 you are correct, I was trying to use both with surges or nutrient export mode.

Gordonious
06/28/2011, 05:53 AM
You may be able to come up with similar modes by taking a look at the graphs in the Vortech manual when setting up your Tunze.

Just out of curiosity is a Tunze 6305 fairly similar in flow power(gph) as a MP40. I am not too familiar with the Tunze world, but plan to try one one of these days just for the experience. That being said I just bought an MP60 for my little 120, so I doubt I'll need much more flow. :-)

Demonic
06/28/2011, 08:32 AM
Well the tunze 6305 is more similiar to the flow of the MP60. BTW that is a ton of flow for a 120. Hopefully you dont have any sand in there, that thing is gonna create a vortex. I will put the 6305's on one side and put them on a wave profile and upload a video so you can see them. Those pumps are awesome.

Gordonious
06/28/2011, 09:43 AM
I realize it's going to be a good bit of flow and I of course will not have it set to 100% Currently it is a bare bottom SPS dominant tank.(fishless at this point, but that will change) The MP40, large turn over between sump and display, and the Hydor Korallia I have in it currently just aren't pushing enough no mater how I configure things. I figured instead of ordering a second MP40 I would just get the MP60 because I'll certainly be getting a larger tank at some point in the future.
As with many hobbyist I've hardly moved into my current tank and already planning ahead for the next one, lol.

Thanks for the response, one of these days I'll try out a Tunze just for kicks. Though I have to say I love my Vortechs.