PDA

View Full Version : Corals on rock?

Saadatski
06/23/2011, 03:46 PM
im thinking about starting my reef tank, and i have always wondered

when you buy a new coral, how do you place it on the rock? does the coral bind itself naturally to the rock or do i have to glue it?

thebkramer
06/23/2011, 03:54 PM
most corals come on a rock or plug :) every once in awhile you get a loose mushroom or other polyp thats not.. and yes.. its easiest to glue it to the rock & then the coral will eventually grow on it by itself :D
hope that helps!

Saadatski
06/23/2011, 03:56 PM
ok, this plug thing, is it that piece of wood the i see frags attached to? if so, i just place it on without any glue and it will grow?

thebkramer
06/23/2011, 03:58 PM
frag plugs are usually made of plastic or ceramic. you can either glue the plug to the rock, rubberband it, or place in a hole. just make sure its secure. the corals will eventually grow & blossom :)

briankmarsh1980
06/23/2011, 07:07 PM
I personally drill holes in my rocks... Then I set the frag plugs in the holes.
This works well for me, due to the fact that I may move corals around depending on if they need more light,flow or less. Or if I decide they would just look better in a different spot. That way I'm not always re-gluing them.

crvz
06/24/2011, 11:13 AM
depending on the situation, I will at times break corals off of the plug and glue them directly to the rock in my tank (superglue gel can work underwater if youre swift). This is primarily the case for stony corals. I don't keep a lot of soft corals, but those I'm more likely to leave on whatever they came with.

lexiz1
06/24/2011, 12:31 PM
Set the plug in a rock hole and see if the coral is happy there. You may have to relocate the piece if it doesnt like the flow or light. Then once it is happy, glue it down with some Gel Superglue.

kruserm
06/24/2011, 02:03 PM
I drilled all my rocks and either use the plugs that the frag came on or remove the frag from the plug and use gel super glue and attach where I want.

Uncle Salty 05
06/24/2011, 02:50 PM
It depends on the type of coral.
For softies like xenia or leather corals etc. a rubber band will do the job.
For LPS you can use either super glue or epoxy putty. (depending on the size of the frag)
For SPS super glue is best.

thelizardkin
06/24/2011, 04:59 PM
don't use epoxy on a sps frag other than montis if you get the epoxy on the tissue of the coral it will kill it

Uncle Salty 05
06/27/2011, 06:50 AM
Yes - super glue for SPS and epoxy putty for LPS.