PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab with SPS

gooberz
06/24/2011, 06:40 AM
Hello Guys,

I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on Emerald Crabs and if you think they are SPS safe? Have seen many different answers. Currently i have no crabs in the tank as i am a little afraid of having them in there. Thanks in advance!

Henry :wildone:

Whisperer
06/24/2011, 06:46 AM
My EC lives within my birdsnest and picks on the polyps all day. I do not mind as long as he leaves the acros alone. The BN is getting too big. The crab does not seem to be doing any real damage.

allsps40
06/24/2011, 08:01 AM
I got a EC to eat BA and within 5 minutes of being in my tank he was eating my Superman Monti! Bad crabs!

collie man
06/24/2011, 08:37 AM
im tagging along because i have a few bubbles in my tank and cant seem to get rid of them

saltygeek
06/24/2011, 10:50 AM
I've never had issues with them. Once in awhile they will climb through a colony but I've never seen any damage.

gooberz
06/24/2011, 11:04 AM
hmm, sounds like to be on the safe side no crabs. Even if they crawl up on the colony and do nothing to it, does that not stress them out?

bryman
06/24/2011, 12:07 PM
Here's my experience with Emeralds and other Mithrax crabs. I have kept them for years in my different tanks. Get small females, they are much safer. You can tell because they are much smaller and have smaller claws proportionately. Once the males start getting large, they get more aggressive and will go after other males. I had one large male in my 90 that would routinely knock over all my rockwork. Some of the rocks were 25-30 lbs each so they are pretty strong. I have also had a male just start chomping down on a frogspawn years ago. Basically, once the males get a carapice bigger than a quarter or so, they start getting a bad additude. I have never had one problem with females though. They are great algae eaters and mow down just about anything. I usually do keep one small male though because then the females have babies and the corals love that.

If you want to be really safe, you can just get a bunch of tricolor hermits. I've never seen them go after anything and they stay pretty small.

iriejp1
06/24/2011, 02:25 PM
I have a couple in my tank...they are AWESOME with bubble algae. But just know they basically walk up to stuff...scrape it with their claw...and eat it. Sometimes they try things they shouldn't...but they usually keep moving.

So yeah, I've had some acros come away with a tip broken off here or there. But they grow back and the job he does on keeping the algae away is well worth it IMHO. Its no different than when you break stuff off while cleaning your tank. The acro doesn't stress...it just grows another. No biggie.

iriejp1
06/24/2011, 02:35 PM
Also keep in mind I have 2 in a 210 and its plenty for me for just maintaining. If I had a big outbreak I may consider more.

Hell, try just one small one and see what you think. I bet it wont be nearly as big a deal as some people would have you think...:thumbsup:

allsps40
06/25/2011, 07:51 AM
^ I did try one small one and he went for my superman. It is now in my lps softy nano cube and is not hurting anything in there, so far.