PDA

View Full Version : Tank with 2 bottom drilled overflows - which standpipe method should I use

dvleemin
06/24/2011, 07:34 AM
So I'm setting up a new tank, that already has two overflows (1 in each corner) that are bottom pre drilled.

For my previous tanks I always used a Durso style standpipe, but I've been doing a ton of reading and it looks like there is some potentially better methods know - the 'Bean' method and the 'Herbie' method.

The Bean method is brilliant, and absolutely I would be doing it - IF the tank was side drilled. But given the situation I'm in, what are my options? I can't think of any other options than the Durso overflow.

Thought?

Darryl

jeff@zina.com
06/24/2011, 07:53 AM
If you want a BeanAnimal system, drill the sides. Otherwise, Durso, Stockman or Herbie.

Jeff

Chris27
06/24/2011, 08:28 AM
I've never understood why everyone hates on the durso? Once you tweak it, it's very quiet and flows quite well. The tank is already set up for them, so why not just use 'em and save yourself the headache of tying to squeeze another configuration in there.

dvleemin
06/24/2011, 10:47 AM
If you want a BeanAnimal system, drill the sides. Otherwise, Durso, Stockman or Herbie.

Jeff
Given that the tank is already drilled, I didn't want to . . .

NanoReefWanabe
06/25/2011, 11:55 AM
there is no reason you cant use a bean system in a "reef ready" tank with dual overflows.

he has covered this in thread...essentially one box will have your primary and emergency drains, and the other box will have your residual and an empty one, you could use them both as residual or plumb one as a return....

dual herbie i am sure is difficult to tune as is any dual overflow system...

Chris, the ONLY way a durso is quiet and efficient is if it is flowing at ridiculously low flow, otherwise you have gurgling somewhere, in the sump or the overflow box or in the pipes...until you have "heard" a siphon system you really dont know what quiet is...that's is like not using pneumatic tires cause wooden ones worked...siphon systems are a beautiful thing and part of the reefing progression...

jeff@zina.com
06/25/2011, 12:04 PM
Given that the tank is already drilled, I didn't want to . . .
Then don't. Use a Durso. The tank is made for it.

Jeff

reefermad619
06/25/2011, 06:05 PM
I've converted a friends dual corner overflow, with 2 holes in each overflow, to a bean. It's easy. I tried first like nano said, but that didn't work work so well. The siphon side with emergency worked fine, but the other overflow was essentially still a durso. We then tried one overflow with both the siphon and the durso style and the other overflow with the emergency and the return. This worked much better. It was easier to tune having both the siphon and durso style in the same overflow. The other overflow was left dry, which he liked. He thought if there was an emergency, that the overflow would hold more water before hitting the emergency pipe giving a little more volume to prevent a REAL emergency. I thought it was a waste of space so I talked him into converting it into an intank fuge. We did have to raise the weir of the emergency/fuge overflow to make this work. But all we did was attach to acrylic to the overflow. That was easy as well. GL with whatever choice you make.