PDA

View Full Version : Baby Maxium Clam won't attach to LR

FIREFISHPAT
06/24/2011, 09:10 AM
I don't know what to do with this 1" 3/4 small Maxi clam that in a tank of just sps and no sand bottom . He doesn't want to attach to flat LR. He keeps falling off and stands up on my BB glass. Is it alright or should I add sand next to him.

scapes
06/24/2011, 09:19 AM
if he's not wanting to attach, then he doesn't like that spot in your tank. maxima's are light demanding so it does need to be high up + they are rock boring clams. try moving it to another rock somewhere else

moliken
06/24/2011, 10:53 AM
what is yr lighting situation? what are the inhabitants of the tank, both vert and invert? possibly it's being bothered by something alive.

408Reefer
06/24/2011, 01:45 PM
I read in other forums that this is a very common with small clams. They keep moving around a lot. Good luck

moliken
06/24/2011, 02:47 PM
I read in other forums that this is a very common with small clams. They keep moving around a lot. Good luck
just imo and experience, it's less than half the time, more likely is a different factor.

scapes
06/24/2011, 04:09 PM
moliken-i've noticed you're quoting people alot but the quotes aren't coming up. kinda confusing. happens every time. what's going on???

jhentr
06/24/2011, 05:24 PM
At one point, I had a baby maxima the same size as yours. It never attached to my LR and just kept jumping off it to the sand. I kept putting it back there a couple of times and then it actually stay (but still never put down it's foot). I had to for over 2 years and it grew fine til I went on vacation and it died from being an expensive fish meal.

moliken
06/24/2011, 08:13 PM
any answers ffpat??

moliken
06/24/2011, 08:14 PM
moliken-i've noticed you're quoting people alot but the quotes aren't coming up. kinda confusing. happens every time. what's going on???
i guess i wasn't doimg it right for a while. sorry. this time...lol

scapes
06/24/2011, 10:12 PM
:lol: there ya' go!! now I can understand a tad better. i'm getting old ya' know and need all the help i can get :lol:

FIREFISHPAT
06/24/2011, 10:52 PM
I got him in my 34 Gal Rea sea without the top with a 150 watt MH light. Right in middle front so I know its not light. I will try other LR. When I brought him he was in sand. My question does he needs to be on rock or sand. So far he looks good was concern about the BB bottom.

moliken
06/25/2011, 04:58 AM
they will do fine on sand, but most prefer rocks. what inhabitants are in the tank?? how established is thetank??

reefmanmatt
06/25/2011, 05:09 AM
how high is your light off the water and is your bulb new ? if not it may need top placement ,especially if your using a de pendant because it has no throw and the 150 lacks in light penetration . i think the happiest ones ive seen were right on the top rock work , just used to seeing them in huge tanks under 400 watt lights so they can be on the sand bed ...stick with the bare bottom imo

FIREFISHPAT
06/25/2011, 09:44 AM
Light is new and its bright for height and dept of tank. I'll put him on a bigger LR the one I put him was a little bigger than him. Thanks

TurtleSoup2
06/25/2011, 02:30 PM
my little clam moved everywhere but was never happy, then after about 2 month it died... turnes out you have to feed clams under 3 inches. maby try feeding it..

FIREFISHPAT
06/25/2011, 08:54 PM
So far so good. I put him on a bigger LR and so far he didn't jump off. Yes, I will feed him. Other thing I did removed my cleaner shrimp. I saw him on the clam causing clam to open and shut more than I liked it. Not that he was doing harm but was stressing clam. Thanks for your help......

moliken
06/25/2011, 08:55 PM
my little clam moved everywhere but was never happy, then after about 2 month it died... turnes out you have to feed clams under 3 inches. maby try feeding it..
false info, false conclusion, read before spreading any more inaccuracies:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts#h4