PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Tank Question

kttran_2005
06/24/2011, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrade to my dream tank 8'x2'x2'. I am thinking of acrylic tank for light weight purpose. I don't know anything about acrylic tank. i got some quotes from different places. I have a few questions and hoping that i can clear it out before making any decission. I really appreciate if you could provide some of your comments and experiences as well.

1. does acrylic tank get any cloudy on material itself over time?
2. is it extremely to get scratches? (sorry stupid question here)
3. is it easy to clean up inside (including coraline algeas) and outside? any special products for outside?
4. is it worth to go with acrylic?

another question, i got one new tank 7'x2'x2' asking for $900 + shipping from *******. Is this a good deal? the only problem with this tank is the seller can't add any overflow to it. he can drill holes for filtering. is there a away to add overflow?

Please let me know. Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

crvz
06/24/2011, 11:20 AM
1) The tank itself shouldnt get cloudy (or yellow) unless they use an inferior product and/or it has intense UV exposure. In most cases, it should maintain clarity for many, many years.
2) it is much more likely to get scratched. This is a concern, and you'll need to take extreme care not to scratch the display surfaces.
3) you can get coralline off relatively easily with plastic scrapers (I've used credit cards with success for years), and you don't have to go with any cleaners for the outside. Most of the time a damp rag will suffice.
4) up to you... it's a trade, but at times it makes sense (especially for large or custom products)

kttran_2005
06/24/2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks Crvz for the comments.