PDA

View Full Version : Whaaaaaaaaaa!! My tank is leaking

Brisbane Lion
06/25/2011, 01:00 AM
Just got home from work to discover my carpet is wet...........Not a great deal but enough to make a fairly sizeable wet patch A preliminary inspection of my tank, fuge and sump hasnt revealed any teltale signs of a leak. The tank has been in the same position for about 6 years. Any ideas on how I can detect the leak. Bear in mind I cannot get to at least 2 sides of the tank etc.

Regards

Brisbane_Lion

A Reef Scene
06/25/2011, 07:06 AM
Start at the filters and work your way back. I had a leak in my system and it turned out to be the input off a water line to supply the ro.

Brisbane Lion
06/25/2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that but on further inspection I have ascertained my fuge is leaking. It has 6 inches of sand, a little rock, chaeto and a myriad of life forms. How do I go about emptying all this to either repair or replace the tank? All advice greatly appreciated

Regards

dave.m
06/25/2011, 06:50 PM
Is it leaking from a seam or just around a bulkhead? Do you have to empty it completely to address the leak, or can you partially empty it, fix the leak, and then refill it again? If you have to empty it completely then you could get a temporary vessel like one of those large Rubbermaid horse troughs many people are using for sumps, something to act as a sump until you fix your main sump.

Dave.M

Brisbane Lion
06/25/2011, 07:10 PM
It is not leaking from a baulkhead. I can only view the front of it so I can't ascertain where it is leaking from hence probably having to empty it completely. As far asa vessel to empty it into I can use my sump which is situated right beside it. I was more concerned about upsetting the 6 inches of substrate and what effect that might have on the system etc?

dahenley
06/25/2011, 10:24 PM
you can always kill your return pump, and leave the intank pumps going. this will allow the tank water to settle to the level of the leak. (or show where the sump is leaking from)

its not the best option, but its one that works...... (depending on how fast the leak is)

Brisbane Lion
06/25/2011, 10:30 PM
hmmmmmm ty for that but if the leak is in the bottom then thats a lot of wet carpet

dahenley
06/25/2011, 11:03 PM
very true, but if you dont, then your ATO will keep pouring freshwater in a saltwater leak and cause your salinity to lower.

If you let it run, and it settles down some, then you will know. if it keeps going, then you know its a bottom seam, or something low, which would be a major problem and thus make me feel like its time to pull the tank, or look for a new one........ it would sure scare me if it were a low leak..

how old is the tank, and is there a warranty??

LOTUS50GOD
06/26/2011, 02:33 PM
I know this not what you want to hear, but drain the fuge/sump with a wet dry vac, remove and inspect. Replace if necessary...

Brisbane Lion
06/26/2011, 06:19 PM
Ok and what do I do with the substrate? Is it salvagable?

LOTUS50GOD
06/26/2011, 07:00 PM
everything should be able to be saved if you do it fast enough.
Get separate rubbermaid containers.
Scoop out what you can with a cup or something like that...
The stuff in the wet/dry vac discard, unless you bought a brand new one just for this job, then you maybe able to save it... maybe...

Brisbane Lion
06/26/2011, 07:06 PM
Is there any danger I might stir up some nasty stuff from within the substrate?