PDA

View Full Version : Tap water conditioners?

JCareyETexas
06/25/2011, 10:51 AM
Anybody have any success with any of the various tap water conditioners and heavy metal detox/neutralizer additives?

thebkramer
06/25/2011, 10:54 AM
:bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

can I ask why you want to use it? I imagine you are planning on using your tap water? of course having a RO/DI unit is best.. but using tap is workable :) I use my tap. Have you had your tap water tested?? that should be your first go before using it ..

shifty51008
06/25/2011, 11:00 AM
just remember the conditioners will remove chlorine and such but not metals and in time the metals will build up in the tank.

duncantse
06/25/2011, 11:16 AM
Prime by Saechem is by far the best in my opinion.

JCareyETexas
06/25/2011, 11:17 AM
Well for instance, I found this (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3974+19606&pcatid=19606) which sounds good, but could it really work?

As far as my municipal water supply report here it is (http://www.cityoftyler.org/Portals/0/docs/departments/water/Water%20Production%20&%20Quality/Water%20Quality%20Reports/Water%20Quality%20Report%202010.pdf) just being new to whole process I really don't know what levels of various contaminants would be considered "acceptable".

JCareyETexas
06/25/2011, 11:21 AM
:bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

can I ask why you want to use it? I imagine you are planning on using your tap water? of course having a RO/DI unit is best.. but using tap is workable :) I use my tap. Have you had your tap water tested?? that should be your first go before using it ..

Thanks for the welcome, I've had freshwater tanks in the past and have always wanted a saltwater so I'm finally jumping in to the tune of 120 gallons!

The reason I'm wanting to see if it is even doable is for the sheer ease of filling a tank with tap water rather than transporting water. I'm researching RO systems as I type but not sure if I want to go that route right now.

JCareyETexas
06/25/2011, 11:26 AM
Prime by Saechem is by far the best in my opinion.
Looked it up at Sea Chem's website. Appears to be a pretty promising product. Do you believe the detoxify heavy metals claim?

dwd5813
06/25/2011, 11:40 AM
there will be quite a few items needed to set up that 120 that will cost more than an excellent rodi system. none will be more important than your water quality. you can get into a great system through several of this site's sponsors for around 200 bucks. i would recommend doing so.

thebkramer
06/25/2011, 11:46 AM
there will be quite a few items needed to set up that 120 that will cost more than an excellent rodi system. none will be more important than your water quality. you can get into a great system through several of this site's sponsors for around 200 bucks. i would recommend doing so.

+1

that is my next big purchase for my tank! I wish I had known before I started my Tank.. I would've never filled with TapWater!!!
so glad I found RC and have been given lots of knowledge I would've never come across from my LFS :lol2:
like I said.. using tap water is doable.. but an RO/DI unit is the best way to go!!! and a well worth it investment! IMO.. get it now & save yourself the headaches & extra $$ you will have to spend "fixing" your tank later on down the road!!!

Flippers4pups
06/25/2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I've had freshwater tanks in the past and have always wanted a saltwater so I'm finally jumping in to the tune of 120 gallons!

The reason I'm wanting to see if it is even doable is for the sheer ease of filling a tank with tap water rather than transporting water. I'm researching RO systems as I type but not sure if I want to go that route right now.

I know you probably don't want to think an RO/DI is cost effective right now, but from my years of experience in the hobby, in the long run it will save you tons of money in the end.

Wondering why your fish are sick, why my corals look bad or dieing, fighting algae, then fighting algae again and again, bacterial out breaks...... Need i go on?

It's well worth the money and will pay for it's self ten fold in a short time. If i was starting out in the hobby, it would be at the top of my list, the first thing i buy. Period.

thebkramer
06/25/2011, 12:02 PM
Well said Flippers4pups!!!

Here is a great read on the RO/DI (http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/rodi-faq) Unit :)

Flippers4pups
06/25/2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks, just want anyone starting out to be happy and successful in the hobby!

Red_Blenny
06/25/2011, 02:02 PM
Looked it up at Sea Chem's website. Appears to be a pretty promising product. Do you believe the detoxify heavy metals claim?

I used to do the same thing as you. I used prime with some tap water to save some money. Turns out, I had a phosphate/silica problem. Don't get me wrong, Prime is a good product for other reasons (removing chlorine, ammonia, nitrate emergency).

Get a RO/DI water system like what Flippers4pups said. Saves you money in the long run and less headache

snorvich
06/25/2011, 02:24 PM

I totally agree. You do not want to use tap water even conditioned.

0 tds
06/25/2011, 06:24 PM
Water quality and stability is the key to reef keeping so I agree with the other posts that an RODI is a must. Just think of it this way, how much are you going to spend on filtration for your tank and then add water that is not filtered. When you get your RODI system, also get a TDS meter for it so you will know that it is 0 TDS.

Lynnmw1208
06/25/2011, 08:58 PM
I agree with everyone. Usually eventually with tap water, you will get unwanted algae and cyano growth. RO/DI units are definitely a time saver!

Brando8719
06/25/2011, 09:57 PM
deleted

Buckeye Hydro
07/01/2011, 06:41 AM
Here's some things to look for in an RODI system for this hobby:

Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter