PDA

View Full Version : Can you cut Pulsing Xenias?

ColaAddict
06/25/2011, 10:27 PM
I want to get some annoying pulsing xenias that are trying to spread on my rock work and rubberband them to an island rock of their own. I tried to peel them off the rock, but they are so stuck to it, I think I damaged them too much. can I cut them instead and will they be okay when cut?
what happens to what little base piece is left on the rock that was cut off, will it die off, or grow a new stalk?

Fryman
06/25/2011, 10:34 PM
You can cut it, mount & grow the cutting and the base will prolly grow back.

Xenias grow easier than algae IME

Caesra
06/25/2011, 10:35 PM
The heads will regrow..if they are doing well in your system, they will recover from just about anything. If you do a cutting, they will grow from both parts (usually)

The best way to control a xenia is to keep them at the highest point on the rock structure they are on.

If they are too low on your structure, of course you can kill them, but xenia are not immobile, so you can choose to put a small peice of frag rubble against their base (above gravity) and they will walk to it. They always (in my experience want to get as close to the light as they can, and will walk until they get to where they want)...note: their walking is very slow...mm a day.

ajn81
06/25/2011, 10:58 PM
+ 1.

Cutting them won't solve the problem as they will likely just grow back. Using rubble is the best way to move them IMHO.

The heads will regrow..if they are doing well in your system, they will recover from just about anything. If you do a cutting, they will grow from both parts (usually)

The best way to control a xenia is to keep them at the highest point on the rock structure they are on.

If they are too low on your structure, of course you can kill them, but xenia are not immobile, so you can choose to put a small peice of frag rubble against their base (above gravity) and they will walk to it. They always (in my experience want to get as close to the light as they can, and will walk until they get to where they want)...note: their walking is very slow...mm a day.

APBonds
06/26/2011, 12:34 PM
Carefully pick it loose from the rock with a scalpul or short knife, don't leave any behind. then rubber band it to the rock you want it on or a small frag. Isolating xenia on top of a rock where it cant reach other riocks is the best way to keep it. Also if you put it next ot the glass it will climb up the glass to but it is very easy to peel it off.

Genin
06/28/2011, 01:03 PM
I cut a few clumps of it up and to my suprise it it healed up very quick and the frags gripped onto their new rocks in a matter of days (seriously days).

ColaAddict
06/28/2011, 01:09 PM
I'm more trying to get rid of the few that are starting to spread on my rockwork. It does seem like they are making their way up, so I will try getting them to move on a rock that I can move and make into an island. thanks for the great tips guys.

reefmanmatt
06/28/2011, 02:20 PM
Carefully pick it loose from the rock with a scalpul or short knife, don't leave any behind. then rubber band it to the rock you want it on or a small frag. Isolating xenia on top of a rock where it cant reach other riocks is the best way to keep it. Also if you put it next ot the glass it will climb up the glass to but it is very easy to peel it off.

it will drop pieces if it cant go up anymore . you can do just about anything to xenia , short of lighting it on fire and it could care less . it wont die !!!

Shiroi Kitsune
07/02/2011, 03:24 PM
Aptasia X works to control it....

ColaAddict
07/02/2011, 05:38 PM
Aptasia X works to control it....

hmmm. I have Aiptasia X, I'll try that, will it kill them for good or will they just eventually grow back?

Rudolph
07/08/2011, 02:48 PM
I bet some Mrs. Fields would do the trick as well....I use it to keep my GSP at bay....and it is cheeeappp, I use my Aiptasia needle to apply.....

mjoyce
07/17/2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe you'll get lucky and hitch hike yourself a xenia-eating nudi!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471461

Tdawg4deisel
07/24/2011, 02:08 AM
Reef safe ich treatment is safe for all but xenas ive been told