PDA

View Full Version : Sump or No Sump?

alohadustin
06/26/2011, 12:54 PM
Aloha everyone!

As you could probably guess by the title, I'm a newb! Ive been researching for awhile and creeping around on here. Setting up a tank from scratch appears really intimidating so I've decided on buying the full setup from CL. But I dont think I fully get the sump concept because I see some with and some with out. Can someone point me to a place I can see the difference?

Also if anyone has any insight, here is a description of the tank I'm thinking of buying. Anything I should be asking him before I pull the trigger?

"Established setup, tank, hood, stand, aqua clear filter, aqua c remora skimmer, 2 power heads, air pump, live rock, live sand, mushrooms, 2 clowns....many extras. This tank has been running as is for 8 months, well established."

MAHALO!!

tdcracing
06/26/2011, 03:09 PM
How big is the tank going to be?

alohadustin
06/26/2011, 04:04 PM
50g

tdcracing
06/26/2011, 04:24 PM
To be honest I would not even bother untill you hit about a 75g. Don't get me wrong. It would probably be a good idea on any size tank. But it's a lot of trouble to go through and you probably would not see much of a benifit on something that small.

I have seen people put a sump on a 29 gallon tank (My current size tank) But your not going to get much out of a sump setup on somthing of this size.

I would personally invest in a good skimmer and not worry about a sump enless you go bigger.

Jstdv8
06/26/2011, 05:30 PM
more water volume = easier to catch problems before they become nightmares

billdogg
06/26/2011, 05:50 PM
IMO, if anything, a sump will show the greatest dividends in a smaller tank. Anytime you can add volume, it will make for a more stable system. If you have the room, use the biggest sump you can fit. You will have a place for the heater, reactors, skimmer, etc. If it's large enough, partition part of it off for a refugium as well. Yes, it adds complexity. So?

That being said

My 60g cube does not have a sump - or a skimmer, for that matter. I would add one if there was a place to put it that the wife would allow.

My 150 has a 50g sump and a 120g refugium.

There are as many ways to set up your system(s) as there are people doing it. You have a great resource here, and you might want to check out www.wetwebmedia.com - another excellent source for information.

Lynnmw1208
06/26/2011, 05:53 PM
Not only does a sump add water volume, you can hide all your equipment down there! I put my heaters, protein skimmer and cheato algae in the sump so it's not in the main display! plus it makes it easier to dose things in the tank. This way you won't accidentally pour something on a coral.

Ben_n_Em
06/26/2011, 08:04 PM
Not only does a sump add water volume, you can hide all your equipment down there! I put my heaters, protein skimmer and cheato algae in the sump so it's not in the main display! plus it makes it easier to dose things in the tank. This way you won't accidentally pour something on a coral.

Agree for all of the same reasons. Anything that helps provide a clean looking display tank is a good thing.

alohadustin
06/27/2011, 03:51 PM
Great feedback guys! I've tried to memorize the abbreviations for everything but the more I dive (not literally lol) into this, i feel a little overwhelmed. Is there a place I can go and read on what all these things do and their purpose? Like a "setup for dummies". I get the sump idea but whats the difference between a sump and a refugium?

roli112
06/27/2011, 04:26 PM
My 150 has a 50g sump and a 120g refugium.

I would like to see pictures of your set up

windyridge
06/27/2011, 05:16 PM
I have a 29g and saw a huge difference with the addition of a sump. It's worth it IMO.

mike5051
06/27/2011, 05:27 PM
Great feedback guys! I've tried to memorize the abbreviations for everything but the more I dive (not literally lol) into this, i feel a little overwhelmed. Is there a place I can go and read on what all these things do and their purpose? Like a "setup for dummies". I get the sump idea but whats the difference between a sump and a refugium?

Read the stickies,(threads that are always stuck at top of the first page). They are loaded with "setup for dummies" information, and will help you tremendously. I've been through them a few times now, and still learn something new everytime I do.

Chris2223
06/27/2011, 05:27 PM
I agree with lynnmw1208 and Ben_n_Em. I have a 20g display with a 20g sump. In a tank as small as a 20g it can be difficult to place a heater in it and get the rock a way you like it. A refugium is a place for more LR, LS along with a place to grow macro algae to help get rid of excess nutrients in the water. Many people place the refugium in the sump as it is another thing they don't want to be seen. I am not very good at explaining things, lol. HTH

JoeRonda
06/27/2011, 07:17 PM
I think a sump is beneficial no matter what size D.T. you have. For example: if you have a 40br and a 40gal sump you just doubled your system volume. I am currently waiting for my freshwater tropical community to all kick the bucket because I am planning on taking the 125g (6foot tank) down to the basement and have a multi-tank sump/refugium setup down there. Then I will have a bigger sump that DT,(display is a 120g)
Water parameters remain more stable with more water volume.
Toxic bi-products build up slower with more water volume.
The entire system seems to take care of itself better with more water volume.
Etc.Etc.Etc.:deadhorse:

0 tds
06/27/2011, 07:43 PM
I have run a 29g and a 75g, both with out a sump... I don't think I will ever do that again, but you can do it. Just keep up with the maintnace!!! With out a sump you will have less room for error (less water). Ask lots of questions and reed as much as you can. I have been in the hoby for a little over a year and I am about to upgrade to my 3rd and 4th tanks. 2 90g tanks with one common sump. The sump is a converted 55g tank and will hold about 30g. That will put my whole system at 210g. A sump is just an extension to the main display tank that is not seen(most of the time). This allows you to hide the skimmer, pump, heater, media reactor,...

Good lluch and keep asking questions.

Saadatski
06/27/2011, 07:56 PM
I would look up newyorksteelo on youtube, he taught me to set up everything and i learned basically everything about reefing in his 20 videos

alohadustin
06/29/2011, 09:58 AM
newyorksteelo video's are awesome!! I stayed up half the night watching his videos! Thanks Saadatski!

windyridge
06/29/2011, 12:35 PM
Yes me too! Always wondered what to do with those free gel food packs in the Ocean Nutrition salt and now I know I can feed them to the RBTA (the fish won't eat it the gel). Never even thought of doing that.