PDA

View Full Version : need help with current nova DIY leg extensions

Enyo
06/26/2011, 09:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone has made DIY feet or legs for the current nova extreme fixtures.

My situation is that I have a secondary 24" low-tech tank. It was fish only so using a 2 bulb 24" t5 setup was fine. I recently found an 18" current nova 2 bulb in my basement from years ago and figured i could rig it up along side the 24" fixture. 48w + 36w is not bad for free.

I would obviously need to make legs that extend an extra 6"...

I went to lowes and browsed the store for anything that could help me, but All I could think of is to use a simple bracket to bolt the two fixtures together, but I would still need a leg to stabilize it as a hole.

Any ideas?

Drewbaby
06/26/2011, 10:04 PM
The standard plastic legs on my nova have broken twice thanks to clumsiness of others and cats. Currently mine is just sitting on the tank and I have been thinking of how to make or buy new legs and the idea of aluminum came to mind. Im going to look into pricing, but having a metal fabrication shop build some legs from aluminum or even better, stainless that mount to the fixture the same way the original plastic ones do you wouldn't need to do any modifications. With the aluminum you would have to paint them, but that takes 3-5 seconds per side depending on paint and skill with a spray can.

Hopefully this helps.

Enyo
06/26/2011, 10:16 PM
thanks drew, I forgot to mention that my tank is rimless/frameless so it complicates things. Right now I'm thinking about two low cost options:

finding some acrylic strips and bending them into an L and simply screwing them into the fixture

or finding two sturdy rods/strips and running them along the bottom of the fixture so it can rest on the glass.

Drewbaby
06/26/2011, 11:06 PM
By allowing it to rest on the glass it will give it a nice sleek look, but at the cost of limiting access to the tank (my current problem). Seeing as your tank is rimless a nice DIY suspension cable harness would look great if you have the proper way to mount it. Otherwise, I think using polished stainless steel legs custom fit to grip the edges of the tank with small foam pads to eliminate scuffing the glass. You could have acrylic legs made but they will still be visible because the acrylic will catch the light like a prism.