PDA

View Full Version : Going to start dosing 2 parts, should I stop dosing Kalk?

ykh
06/26/2011, 10:01 PM
I've been doing Kalk dosing via ATO for over a year, I haven't been able to keep the alk constant and it swings from time to time. I guess it's due to the different evaporation rate. Now, I got a triple dosing pump and plan to dose 2 parts plus mg. The question is should I continue to dose Kalk together with 2 parts or just dose 2 parts only?

Thanks.

bertoni
06/26/2011, 10:08 PM
Either way can work. If the pH of the system runs a little low, the kalk might help with that. On the other hand, if the evaporation rate is changing a lot, the 2-part will be easier to adjust.

ykh
06/26/2011, 10:37 PM
My pH runs from 7.7 to 8.0. I guess I will continue dosing kalk in addition to the 2 parts. If I go this route, how will I decide how much alk to dose via automatic doser daily since the evaporation fluctuates?

Either way can work. If the pH of the system runs a little low, the kalk might help with that. On the other hand, if the evaporation rate is changing a lot, the 2-part will be easier to adjust.

Toadally
06/27/2011, 01:03 AM
My pH runs from 7.7 to 8.0. I guess I will continue dosing kalk in addition to the 2 parts. If I go this route, how will I decide how much alk to dose via automatic doser daily since the evaporation fluctuates?

I use Kalk along with two part also. Get a baseline just using Kalk and work toward where you want your alk and calcium to be. I dose using dosing pumps controlled by a controller. It doses every hour around the clock. To adjust I just add or subtract using the timer. You'll have test each time until you get where you want to be. Hope this helps...

ykh
06/27/2011, 08:23 PM
Michael,

Thanks for your feedback, I just need to be careful so I don't overdose the alk.

I use Kalk along with two part also. Get a baseline just using Kalk and work toward where you want your alk and calcium to be. I dose using dosing pumps controlled by a controller. It doses every hour around the clock. To adjust I just add or subtract using the timer. You'll have test each time until you get where you want to be. Hope this helps...

Toadally
06/27/2011, 09:41 PM
Michael,

Thanks for your feedback, I just need to be careful so I don't overdose the alk.

Here's the way I do it. I use a 5 gallon plastic jug, like the ones the LFS uses for RO/DI water. Drill a small hole in the center of the cap and use a rigid plastic tube cut about an inch short so it doesn't touch the bottom. Use a dosing pump like the one BRS has and an ATO switch. Start using Kalk at about one tsp. Per gallon and work your way to full saturation at two tsp. Per gallon. When that isn't enough to keep up start dosing two part.

Hope this is not too much info....just thought I would share what I do.

lastduke
06/28/2011, 06:53 PM
which BRS dosing pump has a ATO switch? can you post a product link?

bertoni
06/28/2011, 09:50 PM
I don't know of any pumps with a built-in level switch. I used a dual-float-switch setup from ReefFanatics.

lastduke
06/28/2011, 11:37 PM
bertoni, my understanding is Toadally said there is a dosing pump which has a switch you can choose dose for chemical (small flow rate) or ATO (greater flow rate). did i understand wrong?

bertoni
06/29/2011, 11:29 PM
Many pumps have an adjustable flow rate. I use Master-Flex pumps, for example, that have a knob regulate the flow rate.

kellerexpress
06/30/2011, 10:41 PM
I use 2 float switches from autotopoff.com and an aqualifter, works perfect.