PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae Galore

Reefer Cheefer
06/27/2011, 07:46 AM
30g 150w MH biocube HQI, protein skimmer, 1clownfish, 1 YT, 6 emerald crabs, about 20-30 snails n hermits (red+blue), 1fire shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 3 corals (Star Polyp, Zeus, and Torch) and an LT anemone.

there is way to much bubble algae in the tank it cover most of the sand bottom and starting to take over rocks. any solutions?

i feed my fish only a few times a week, frozen prime cuts. i have scooped by hand and also removed rocks and with a tooth brush scraping off the bubble algae. yet it still seem to come back thriving.

i need some help. people at the fish store r clueless all they say is get more emeralds.

Reefer Cheefer
06/27/2011, 07:48 AM
water parameters are checked every couple weeks and they have been all fine since i got the tank 3-4 months ago

jimmy_beaner
06/27/2011, 07:49 AM
I had a little bit of bubble algae (2 or 3 clusters). I pulled the rock, removed it as carefully as I could and then used a butane lighter to scorch the area that it was seated. I haven't seen it since. The same method worked for caulerpa.

Reefer Cheefer
06/27/2011, 07:53 AM
the butane method sounds pretty harsh. that wont have a lasting or damaging effect to the live rock will it?

jimmy_beaner
06/27/2011, 08:01 AM
the butane method sounds pretty harsh. that wont have a lasting or damaging effect to the live rock will it?

You're not baking it in a furnace... just get a butane lighter and spot torch the area. You don't have to do it all at once. I had a quarter sized effected areas so I scorched those areas. If you kill a very small section of live rock it isn't a big deal... it'll be reclaimed soon.

Reefer Cheefer
06/27/2011, 08:12 AM
ok.

but these arent quarter sized the are more like paper dollar bill size. a much larger area

James77
06/27/2011, 08:22 AM
So up the size of the flaming device accordingly....maybe a plumbing torch? :p

Are you sure it is bubble algae....I ask only because you mention it is on the sand, I have not have my BA grow there, although there are different types.

If you do not catch it in time, and it takes over rock work, it is a PITA to get rid of. Plucking them out is tedious, as in sucking out the insides with a probe of some sort. Emerald crabs are hit or miss, I have never once seen one the many I have tried even look at the stuff...they would walk right past it.

What has worked for me is completely removing every rock, scrubbing it all off, then dunk/swish in clean water, then back into tank. It is not all that painful, I did mine in a couple of hours. Once out....just keep on top it if you see it again. I have a few large bubbles after a couple years of not even seeing one. In the next couple days, I will remove it all.

James77
06/27/2011, 08:23 AM
Oh...to add....they are such a slow growing algae, that I have seen even nutrient poor tanks be plagued by it.

snorvich
06/27/2011, 08:51 AM
So up the size of the flaming device accordingly....maybe a plumbing torch? :p

Are you sure it is bubble algae....I ask only because you mention it is on the sand, I have not have my BA grow there, although there are different types.

If you do not catch it in time, and it takes over rock work, it is a PITA to get rid of. Plucking them out is tedious, as in sucking out the insides with a probe of some sort. Emerald crabs are hit or miss, I have never once seen one the many I have tried even look at the stuff...they would walk right past it.

What has worked for me is completely removing every rock, scrubbing it all off, then dunk/swish in clean water, then back into tank. It is not all that painful, I did mine in a couple of hours. Once out....just keep on top it if you see it again. I have a few large bubbles after a couple years of not even seeing one. In the next couple days, I will remove it all.

Great suggestion, should work well. I have had little/no success with predators, so I siphon it off.

carlos413
06/27/2011, 09:11 AM
check out this you tube video on how to get rid of bubble algae. I hope the link works as I am doing this from my phone.
Good luck
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=MeqtPe3XukM

Reefer Cheefer
06/27/2011, 02:50 PM
is there another way besides removing everything? i have live corals attached to the live rock and i don't wont to disturb it.