PDA

View Full Version : Freezing limewater?

rustyjames
06/27/2011, 01:04 PM
My tank's demands (cal/alk) are pretty low and I top off manually, I've thought about freezing fully saturated kalk in an ice cube tray and just tossing a cube in when I top off.

Would freezing do something to the kalk? Or is this just a stupid idea?

BTW, I have the beer fridge in the garage so no one would mistakenly put the cubes in their iced tea.

Habu
06/27/2011, 03:14 PM
Interesting idea I'll tag along on this one.

dogstar74
06/27/2011, 03:18 PM
How about hanging the ice cube above the water and letting it slowly melt and drip into the tank? It may slow the addition of Kalk that way and not shock the system too much. You will have some evap from the ice cube though.

rustyjames
10/25/2011, 03:33 PM
How about hanging the ice cube above the water and letting it slowly melt and drip into the tank? It may slow the addition of Kalk that way and not shock the system too much. You will have some evap from the ice cube though.

I've got a couple of those mini ice cube trays, each cube is 3ml, so just figured tossing one in each morning and see how it goes.

I guess my main question, would freezing do something bad to the lime water?

Figured I'd bump this for another try.

HippieSmell
10/25/2011, 03:54 PM
I would be surprised if there's any harm in freezing. Kalk is a pretty simple chemical, it's not like a protein or anything.

disc1
10/25/2011, 04:02 PM
The only possible harm is that the kalk may precipitate out while the ice cube is freezing.

Sat'd kalk may also lower the freezing point below what your kitchen freezer can do. I'm not sure what the freezing point depression would be without doing math.

Either way, try it and see. Let us know if it works. I've never tried to freeze kalk water before.

Agu
10/25/2011, 05:03 PM
Why not just make a simple kalk dripper (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/skip/agu/kalkdripper.htm) and be done with it ?

droth335
10/25/2011, 05:32 PM
I don't understand why you would want to freeze it, it doesn't go "bad" does it?