PDA

View Full Version : Help my zoas have closed for days why?

MrGoodbar
06/27/2011, 06:53 PM
they have been closed for a couple of days now and havent opened at all. I have moved them around in the tank in different currents and different levels of light nothing is working. Now one of them looks like its exploding and there are these little yellow slug looking things that are about the size of a needle crawling around on the bottom of them. I need help fast i dont want to lose them. Help please.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/mrgoodbar911/82a1b52e.jpg
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/mrgoodbar911/2b0e1aff.jpg

Camps23
06/27/2011, 07:11 PM
I am having the exact same issue. Started 2 days ago. Seems to be only affecting my Zoas everything else looks fine

jamesbaur13
06/27/2011, 07:41 PM
Is this it??

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/dc_nudibranch.html

MrGoodbar
06/27/2011, 08:03 PM
ya i think that is what i saw. I am going to look closely tonight at them. Would that cause them to close up fully? How do i get rid of them?

Jakef150
06/27/2011, 08:04 PM
Dip it....always dip all corals before put in tank no matter what/who you bought from..

Jake

duoc9119
06/27/2011, 08:08 PM
My Red People eaters weren't opening either, but then I found that my emerald crab was eating them. Took forever getting that sucker out. Had to chase it onto the sand bed and pin him down with a chopstick and net him before he got back on the rocks. They have one heck of a grip on the rocks for being only an inch.

MrGoodbar
06/27/2011, 08:24 PM
Ok im going to get some coral rx tomorrow. Im 100% sure its nudis i just looked and there is one just going to town on one of my zoas. Ugh frustrating. Never knew about the dip. Thanks guys for your help

justisathomesea
06/27/2011, 08:53 PM
The dip won't kill the eggs so you will have to look foe them and get rid of them they look like white spirals also if you can see the nudis get a baster of syringe and you can suck them up.

sent from my hand held computer

Lynnmw1208
06/27/2011, 09:02 PM
use flatworm exit to dip the zoanthids. Those are definitely nudibranchs. I can see one in the first pic.

Bilk
06/27/2011, 09:22 PM
I just went through a bout with those nasty nudies. All I did was remove the colonies and give them a fresh water dip for about a minute or so. Shake them upside down in the container and the nudis fall off. Water should be about the same temp as tank. Did this two or three times over the course of two weeks and they're all gone. No more nudies :) Yes I used NYC tap water and the colonies are fine :)

MagicReefer
06/27/2011, 09:38 PM
On the top pic you can see the big ol' Zoa eating nudhibrach right in the front. I had these and connected an air line to a syring and sucked them out as I seen them. This worked very well but I would not recommend this as an option. The thing that did the trick for me was a 6 line wrasse. They are beautiful small and within a week of having him all Zoa's were open. I even saw him suck a flat worm right out of a rock and eat it like a dang noodle. I would recomend this fish for any reef tank. They are great pest eaters. The best part is they dont touch my berghia nudhibrachs that I have to control aptasia.