PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp Care, looking for info. He's with a Randal's goby

cody6766
06/27/2011, 07:42 PM
I recently acquired a pistol shrimp and Randal's goby and I never thought twice about the specific needs of the shrimp. What should I feed the tank to keep these guys healthy? I normally feed flake and the goby is showing no interest. I'm debating a switch back to frozen soon anyway, so hopefully that will get the goby eating. Both were just added yesterday, so he may start eating soon even if I don't switch.

Anyway, these guys are in a 14g BioCube by themselves, aside from some nassarius snails and pods. What is the best way to keep them fed and happy? The pistol shrimp is my biggest concern as I'm sure the goby will eventually pick up on tank feedings. Will the pistol scavenge these bits as well?

I think he's a tiger pistol, btw.

snorvich
06/27/2011, 08:24 PM
Mine eats mysis and NLS pellets.

BEASTIEPENDENT
07/01/2011, 04:42 AM
Hi, pistol shrimp You can feed good with frozen food like blooworms, Daphnia, Artemia, mussel flesh, fish etc. etc. If You see him at the entrance of his burrow You can give it to him with a long food pincer, even if he flees first he should come back out of curiosity soon and fetch the food. ;) If not try to lay down the food at the entrance (when the current is not to strong).

Jeremy Blaze
07/01/2011, 06:09 AM
Try some cyclopeeze.

Randels gobies are often tough to get to eat, ime.

cody6766
07/01/2011, 08:06 AM
I guess it was just a stress issue for the goby. He's eating frozen food now. I haven't seen the pistol in the last 2 days, but it's clear he's busy in there! They now have burrows everywhere under the LR in thier BioCube. Will the pistol scavenge bits of food blowing around after a feeding? I'm thinking about tracking down some ghost shrimp and feeding them from time to time. I assume the pistol would make short work of them, correct?

twelvebeer
07/01/2011, 08:11 AM
I have a pistol and YWG in my 14g biocube too. They dont hang out together yet and its been a few months. The shrimp lives in caves in the rocks and I feed him frozen brine/mysis by placing it at the entrance of the cave. I have gone 2 weeks without seeing him before but i place food at the hole, come back later and its gone so I know he is still alive lol!

Jeremy Blaze
07/01/2011, 08:19 AM
I would not worry about feeding the shrimp directly.

Twelvebeer, sounds like you gave a caribean pistol shrimp, they do not dig or live with gobies. If you can get a pic maybe we can Id it for sure.