PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae clump in fuge. Should I remove it?

chuckdallas
06/27/2011, 08:30 PM
I have been battling the phos from 0.07 to 0.12. I took the Warner Marine ECO-bak pellets off line because I had a Trach, a Lobo and a Wellso that started receding since the pellets hit the 4 week mark in the reactor. Also, I had sponges covering the down drains in the external HOB overflow box, so I took those out. The chaeto in the fuge was receding because (maybe) the bacteria in the ECO-bak pellets was taking more phos than the chaeto needed (but I don't understand how with the phos constantly at 0.1 (+ or minus 0.02).

In the last 3-4 days, I have seen a large clump of hair algae (6-7 inches in diameter) floating on the top of the fuge. I don't have hair algae in the DT nor do I wish to start, so should I remove the HA from the fuge or should I leave it in, so it can help reduce the phos down to 0.03 or less, since the current ball of chaeto isn't doing the full job yet??

crvz
06/28/2011, 08:39 AM
removing it would probably not lower the risk of getting it in the display, as it is already introduced to your system. I would probably remove it personally, but if you think it's helping it's not that risky keeping it in that location.

redneckgearhead
06/28/2011, 08:49 AM
If its not attached to anything I would remove it before it clogs a pump.

chuckdallas
06/28/2011, 10:42 AM
Yes, that clump has a low center of gravity (sorry, obscure pilot talk metaphor for bottom heavy). The water going into the fuge isn't strong enough to push the weight over the edge, but I'll remove it, just to be sure. Wouldn't want a worthless clump of algae causing a $100 pump failure.