PDA

View Full Version : HOB Protein Skimmer Help

mab349
06/28/2011, 03:38 PM
Hi,
I need help choosing a HOB protein skimmer for my 50 gallon tank. It is a clear for life uniquarium. Currently I'm using a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer. I've been looking online at various sites to see what's available and found these ones. I'm not sure which of these is best or if I've missed alternative suggestions. Any help is appreciated. :)

Eshopps PSK-100H, Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Blue, and AquaMaxx HOB-1. I've seen there's also some reef octopus ones but I can't find them for sale and I'm also unsure which is the best.

reeftivo
06/28/2011, 05:37 PM
aquamaxx HOB is one of the better ones (updated warner marine design). It does however, seem to skim a bit wet from many reviews. The eshopps also has some pretty good reviews but I've never used one. depending on what you can afford, you should look to the aquamaxx, reef octo BH series or LX series http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=632

also, can't go wrong with the deltecs but $$$

mab349
06/28/2011, 08:03 PM
Do you think the Reef Octopus BH300 or BH 2000 would work better? Is the AquaMaxx rated better than the Reef Octopus?

mab349
06/29/2011, 06:34 PM
Also is one of them quieter than the other? Anyone?

Belmont31R
06/29/2011, 06:43 PM
No experience with brands you listed but I just got a Octopus 100F early last week, and its already producing nasty stuff on a daily basis. Plus it has room in the return for media. I put some Chemi-Pure in there.

mab349
06/29/2011, 06:47 PM
How noisy does yours seem to be? I think they would all perform similarly in that respect.

Belmont31R
06/29/2011, 06:57 PM
How noisy does yours seem to be? I think they would all perform similarly in that respect.

The pump was a little noisy the first few days but is pretty quiet now.

I get a little gurgling noise from the return which is gravity fed, and some bubbles coming out of it. However I read a huge thread on here Ill try to find for you in a minute, and most people are modifying the return piping to cut down on the noise/bubbles. I read a lot of reviews on HOB skimmers, and the ones for our tank sizes are usually modified by people to get the best performance regardless of brand. Im going to install a cap on top of the return pipe with a hole drilled in it, and a ball valve so the return is sending all water back and not air + water.

Not sure about performance compared to others as far as skimmate but I only have one fish, a few shrimp, and some crabs in my tank. It was still able to pull a 1/4" of dark tea colored water and some solids out. As mentioned I like having the extra volume in the return chamber, and it has a surface intake with teeth so it pulls water from the top.

For the refugium I have a CPR small deluxe. Nothing in it yet but should be getting my chaeto this week.

NaH2Ofreak
06/29/2011, 09:38 PM
I've used several different hob skimmers. My favorite was the eshopp PSK series. I used the 75 and the 100. They skim good and are not noisy. Only problem is is that one lasted 6 months and one lasted 4 months. Couldn't get the pumps to restart in them. When they worked, they worked good but...they don't last. Would never buy another unless they made dramatic changes to the pumps reliability.

My overall favorite was the Aquamaxx hang on back. It skims good and is pretty quiet. Dependable as well with the sicci pump. Good stuff.

Dennis

TH3C1SC0K1D
06/29/2011, 10:50 PM
This might help.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2038275