PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Stand for 120G

125mph
06/28/2011, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

Where is everyone getting their aquarium stands for the larger tanks? I'm looking for one that support a 48x24x24 120G tank. I am inquiring some local woodworkers to see how much it will cost, but maybe it will be cheaper with premade stands. Anywhere good? I've looked at a few sites but they seem shady or the craftsmanship may be shoddy.

gtphale
06/28/2011, 07:44 PM
I made my own but it was for a 6 ft 125 gal tank. Was really easy to do as well. I skinned the tank in birch and used some premade doors. Cost about 100 bucks to make it myself.

125mph
06/28/2011, 09:58 PM
All my diy projects are very functional but cosmetically do not look good. Since this is a show piece, I need it to be craftsman quality!

TRENT_G
06/28/2011, 10:22 PM
I also made my own. I wanted it taller than the standard size. I went 42" high. You have to get a chair or step ladder to do any maintenance. But it lt's just the right height to walk up to and not have to bend down to see everything.

tmacks
06/28/2011, 10:41 PM
I've always built my stands out of 2x2 aluminum tubing. Weld it together and it's super strong and doesn't rust or rot. Then I attach whatever covering i want around it weather it's the foam coral cast or finished cabinet wood or anything else you can come up with.

Davey Jones
06/29/2011, 04:49 AM
I've always built my stands out of 2x2 aluminum tubing. Weld it together and it's super strong and doesn't rust or rot. Then I attach whatever covering i want around it weather it's the foam coral cast or finished cabinet wood or anything else you can come up with.

What is this foam coral cast you speak of?

Gandolfe
06/29/2011, 06:09 AM
I'm gonna make my stand 36" high for my 125, probably this weekend. just waiting for my other light fixture and a ballast to come in, then I got fork out some $$$ for a couple of pumps for my 2 closed loops, and 2 1" SCWD's. There are 100's of stand plans and examples, just look around

tmacks
06/29/2011, 06:47 AM
I can't post a pic from my iPhone but it's a foam sheet and looking at it you can't tell it's not real coral rock. They male the stuff in all different molds and trims same as wood just coral. It's really light foam and it absorbs The sound from pumps, skimmers, chillers really well.

http://www.miamifoam.com/cast_coral_foam.html

This shows all the different molds and panels you can get. I won't have a hood on my tank but I will have a coral band that slips right over the top. In a few months I will build my stand and post pics.