PDA

View Full Version : monti eating nudis

SaltwaterAdict
06/28/2011, 08:31 PM
I just discovered I have montipora eating nudis. What's the best course of action? I removed the infected coral and hoping the buggers were only on that one. Should I treat all the monti's. I don't have another tank. I could pull each one out and do multiple dips if that's a good choice. lmk what you guys do. thanks Also, how do you prevent the re-entry down the road. I heard Coral-RX works good, but does it actually kill the nudi's and their eggs? I'm not sure how fun a hospital QT would be. jmo Any help would be great..

SaltwaterAdict
06/29/2011, 05:41 PM
No one's had these before?? I'd like to take a proactive step if it would help.

dzhuo
06/29/2011, 06:11 PM
Many people have deal with monti eating nudis before. There is a sticky at the top with lots of info. Here is a very good article about this pest: Elimination of a predatory nudibranch (http://www.reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm)

UTCReefer
06/29/2011, 07:34 PM
Some wrasse's have been known to eat them too. But I'll tell you that the best thing i did was to
1. throw out heavily infected colonies after fragging them into manageable larger frags. Fragging made them easy to remove and inspect and made them void of many hiding places for the nudi's and their eggs.
2. Get a few tubes of super glue and when inspecting your corals just superglue over any eggs and or adult nudi's you see.
3. A microscope is almost a must to be able to see the nudi's and their eggs.
4. Once you get rid of them stop adding things to your tank because they can hitchike in on anything at all.

JMAdams
06/30/2011, 12:19 PM
Some wrasse's have been known to eat them too. But I'll tell you that the best thing i did was to
1. throw out heavily infected colonies after fragging them into manageable larger frags. Fragging made them easy to remove and inspect and made them void of many hiding places for the nudi's and their eggs.
2. Get a few tubes of super glue and when inspecting your corals just superglue over any eggs and or adult nudi's you see.
3. A microscope is almost a must to be able to see the nudi's and their eggs.
4. Once you get rid of them stop adding things to your tank because they can hitchike in on anything at all.

+1, thats what I did when I discovered I had them. Lost several colonies but saved a few.