PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a CUC

fishyman12
06/28/2011, 09:01 PM
What kind of clean up crew would you recommend for a 46 Bowfront with a 30 gallon sump/refugium? I have about fifty pounds of live/base rock. My tank is in the middle of cycling. Thanks, Jack

hollister
06/28/2011, 09:05 PM
First let it cycle then i would add a few nass snails and 1 fish (non aggresive ) or 1 coral.

baws187
06/28/2011, 09:07 PM
I love my blue legged hermits. If your gonna have corals I would watch how big of snails you get like turbos. They knock my rocks over.

hollister
06/28/2011, 09:24 PM
Those would be fine , just dont add to many at one time add some as there needed...

Neogenocide
06/28/2011, 10:19 PM
I am currently on a no crab phase because I got tired of them always attacking my snail and killing them for a snack, which translates my hard earned cash into always buying more to replenish what they ate. With a large diversity of snails, I believe it can be done and I've had good success so far.

Michael
06/29/2011, 01:09 AM
4 nassies and 4 turbos to start, see how they get on and see if they all survive.

Mike

Chris27
06/29/2011, 06:33 AM
A mix of 3-4 dozen snails, crabs, shrimp, etc... would be a good start.

jlong11
06/29/2011, 07:18 AM
A mix of 3-4 dozen snails, crabs, shrimp, etc... would be a good start.

im a huge fan of a good cuc but 36-48 seems like too much especially to start maybe i misunderstood u?

Chris27
06/29/2011, 09:05 AM
im a huge fan of a good cuc but 36-48 seems like too much especially to start maybe i misunderstood u?

Nope you didn't miss understand me. I like to use roughly a dozen per 10 gallons. Here is my thinking....

Nassarius vibex - you'll never see them, so a dozen or so of them will become lost in the sandbed shortly after putting them in. You won't see them again until feeding time, or when the lights go out. When you have enough of them the sand stays very well maintained.

Cerith - Great little buggers for both the rock and sand given they are omnivore's unlike the carnivorous nassarius...a dozen should do.

Astrea or Trochus - Trochus are better given they can right themselves when turned over, but both are great little algae eaters. A handful of them depending on their size would be good.

Peppermint - aiptasia and other uneaten food

Cleaner shrimp - cuz they are cool and everyone should have one.

Hermit Crabs - They are fast, and make quick work of any uneaten food, hair algae, and nori that makes its way into the rock work. A combination of zebra's and scarlets are a good choice. I try to stay away from ones that are native to the east coast US and mexico, as they tend to be a little more invasive. Don't go overboard on them, as they will go after the snails, throwing in some extra larger shells will help.

Emerald crabs - I know the verdict is still out on them, but they can help keep bubble algae to a minimum if they nip it while it's small.

cloak
06/29/2011, 01:34 PM
I would probably start off with about 8-10 different snails and maybe 2 scarlet hermit crabs. See how they do for awhile and adjust accordingly. (trochus, astrea, turbo, nerite, cerith, nassarius) 36-48 snails is way too many. I guaranty that number will dwindle given time.

jlong11
06/29/2011, 01:34 PM
i understand your logic and i like that philosophy i agree with most everything u said i just dont think it would be good to put them all in at first is all i was saying

MinnesotaTwins
06/29/2011, 01:57 PM
i understand your logic and i like that philosophy i agree with most everything u said i just dont think it would be good to put them all in at first is all i was saying

Yea I would have to agree, I have a 46 bowfront as well that I kind of just started, I have about 13 Hermits, and 3 Turbos and they are doin great, I probably will get 1 more turbo.

As weird as this sounds I LOVE my snails and I would hate to see them starve is my thinking :(

fishyman12
06/29/2011, 03:14 PM
I am about to finish cycling my tank and am preparing for my clean up crew. I went on reefcleaners and picked out a good list. I have a 46 gallon reef with a 30 gallon sump/refugium. I have a lot of rock and plan on about 8 fish with 2 being at least six inches. What are your opinions on this CUC:
30 Dwarf Ceriths
16 Nassarius
15 Florida Ceriths
11 Blue Legs
7 Large Nerite and 5 Small to medium Nerites
1 five pack of mangroves
Some Chaeto

Michael
06/29/2011, 03:17 PM
A disaster waiting to happen, 8 fish and 2 at 6"+ and 70 or more inverts, = tank crash and deaths very quickly.

your tank is way too small.

MinnesotaTwins
06/30/2011, 11:03 AM
A disaster waiting to happen, 8 fish and 2 at 6"+ and 70 or more inverts, = tank crash and deaths very quickly.

your tank is way too small.

I agree completly, 6" fish are way too big to have in there especially with 8 fish. I know it kinda sucks because I have the same tank but its really not healthy for the fish :sad2:

Mzulu
06/30/2011, 11:27 AM
Reefcleaners is really good and if you chose the custom cuc where you email them, you should be good. But, I would add one emerald crab because I always see them picking at my algae. Read up on those and see if you like them.
For fish I would always have jawfish, a blenny, and a goby. Tons of personality and not real agressive. Maybe dwarf angels would look nice but I dont have experience with them.

jeff@zina.com
06/30/2011, 11:47 AM
1 five pack of mangroves
Skip these, they're worthless for nutrient export and need a lot of care.

Jeff

Angel*Fish
06/30/2011, 03:46 PM
As you can see if you get 5 different responses you'll get 5 different answers. Most people have no idea what the clean crew even does.

What type of fish are you planning? If you don't get animals that eat your pods, then worms and pods, backed up by a few snails like 3-4 nassarius for the sand and various rock grazers. I like stomatellas, safe limpets and ceriths. You don't need 46 - maybe 10.

Angel*Fish
06/30/2011, 03:55 PM
I guarantee that number will dwindle given time.And every time they dwindle, it adds a dead animal to the tank. It really doesn't seem like good husbandry to be growing enough algae to feed that many snails and hermits.

cloak
06/30/2011, 05:01 PM
I hate to say it but, sometimes members of a CUC dying due to starvation is actually a good thing... You didn't make a mess. Pure & simple. One way or the other that tank will balance itself out.

Angel*Fish
06/30/2011, 05:15 PM
I hate to say it but, sometimes members of a CUC dying due to starvation is actually a good thing... You didn't make a mess. Pure & simple. One way or the other that tank will balance itself out.You didn't make a mess? What does that mean? Yes, the tank will reach an equilibrium one way or another. There's the expensive, wasteful slow way where you are fighting the process or the cheaper, more natural quicker way.

An army of large "clean up crew" animals are not necessary. Unless eaten (or trapped), your pods and worms will do an infinitely better job of keeping your tank free of hair algae. One cleaner shrimp will scavenge the big stuff.

Read. Learn that what's going on to keep your tank "clean" and stable, you can't see or can barely see. Lack of info is expensive. But it's not just about the dollars - it's about good husbandry.

curlykid
06/30/2011, 05:21 PM
imo you will run into red leg/blue leg hermits attacking your snails. Electric blues are vegetarians IME.

Angel*Fish
06/30/2011, 05:23 PM
imo you will run into red leg/blue leg hermits attacking your snails. Electric blues are vegetarians IME.By vegetarian, are you saying that if you put in meat, they won't eat it?

cloak
06/30/2011, 05:23 PM
Tap water = mess (algae)
RO/DI = hopefully not a mess.

It's all up to you.