PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone positve ID the following 3 anemones?

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 01:57 AM
when touched feels a bit leathery stands very strong even with strong flow on it seem not to hang loose. Nice green color with very light purple tips.
Feels extremely sticky on the touch. Has been in the tank for about 1 month now and has been eating well.

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 02:00 AM
looks very loose and much longer tentacles. Sways hard in the flow.
Does feel sticky on the touch though not that extreme. Has a light whitish purple color with a bright purple foot. Very bright purple tips at the end of its tentacles.(not clear in the pictures)
Has been in the tank over a month and eating very good although the 2 hosting clowns tend to grab everything out of it.

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 02:04 AM
doesnt feel that sticky at all though has just been placed in the tank. Foot did take though within a minute and it started to inflate instantly.
Has bright dark purple short tentacles with white rings around its tentacles. Looks like it has 3 separate heads but is one anemone with one central located mouth.
Has not been fed yet as just placed in the DT

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 02:06 AM
I furthermore have one large green carpet who is doing great has almost doubled in size since I bought it and is sticky like hell. Everything that gets in it never comes out again.
I also have 4 tube anemones 2 pink and 2 purple who have grown out of proportions grabbing every little piece of food floating by with their tentacles like crazy.
You can pics of those is some other threads I have posted previously.
But can anyone please confirm the ID of the 3 posted above.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 02:12 AM
So you just buy 10 different nems without knowing anything about them?

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 02:21 AM

Brother I asked to CONFIRM a positive ID as I have an idea on what they would be but would like the experts here to confirm my thoughts.
reason me not stating my thoughts as otherwise some people would just jump on that name and say yes yes yes...
Anyway thanks for your concern but none is needed.

AD87
06/29/2011, 04:44 AM
The first 2 anemones are magnificias.

this is me
06/29/2011, 05:18 AM
1 is a magnifica. Nice one that is.
2 is a very bleached magnifica.
3 not sure.

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 05:35 AM
How positive on #2 being a maginifica??
I was more leaning to an LTA? Due to its colored base?

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 07:16 AM
anyone any idea?

Reefvette
06/29/2011, 07:19 AM
both the first two are mags, the last one looks like malu anemone.

AD87
06/29/2011, 07:47 AM
Im 100 percent postive the first 2 are mags.

bradleym
06/29/2011, 08:26 AM
LTA will have reddish colored base. Never purple to my knowledge, and usually LTA have veruccae, never seen one without. The first 2 are definitely H. Mag, just #2 is bleached and weak.

#3 is most likely H. Malu because they are most commonly known for white-ringed tentacles, but a detailed picture of the white rings would be necessary for 100% ID.

bradleym
06/29/2011, 08:31 AM

There are 10 pics, but only 3 anemones. Each post is about 1 anemone with multiple pictures for better ID.

deangelr
06/29/2011, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=bradleym;18961448]LTA will have reddish colored base. Never purple to my knowledge, and usually LTA have veruccae, never seen one without. QUOTE]

Mags always have verrucae also.. They the same color as the base but usually very apparent/disticntive when you look for them.

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 08:42 AM
There are 10 pics, but only 3 anemones. Each post is about 1 anemone with multiple pictures for better ID.

bradley, dont worry too much about him he doest read or pay attention to what people write or ask for.
Thanks

bradleym
06/29/2011, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=bradleym;18961448]LTA will have reddish colored base. Never purple to my knowledge, and usually LTA have veruccae, never seen one without. QUOTE]

Mags always have verrucae also.. They the same color as the base but usually very apparent/disticntive when you look for them.

Thanks for the clarification, I had thought they were optional. Of course, I've only seen 2 H. Mags up close for any length of time so if they aren't a different color I could easily miss them.

deangelr
06/29/2011, 09:38 AM
:thumbsup:

phender
06/29/2011, 11:44 AM
I concur with everyone else#1 and 2 are H. magnifica and #3 is H. malu.

davocean
06/29/2011, 12:40 PM
And a nice looking malu, but I'm surprised to see it up on rocks, very much a sand dwellar.
What lights are over that nem?

Enyo
06/29/2011, 01:09 PM
My point was that usually people dont just go out and buy hard to keep mags without knowing how to care for them. Then throw them in a tank along with every other species of nem known to man.

I guess in Thailand you only have to pay 50 cents to rip them from the reefs so it's okay.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 01:21 PM

There's this thing called sarcasm.

deangelr
06/29/2011, 01:25 PM
I guess in Thailand you only have to pay 50 cents to rip them from the reefs so it's okay.

This is offensive and completely unnecessary to say to the OP.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 02:14 PM
I dont think it's offensive. Things there are generally cheaper than say Australia, but ending with "so it's okay" was a bit smart aleck.

There's the tang police and then there's me.

davocean
06/29/2011, 02:18 PM
I dont think it's offensive. Things there are generally cheaper than say Australia, but ending with "so it's okay" was a bit smart aleck.

There's the tang police and then there's me.

Well, sometimes the rude police wouldn't be a bad idea.
We don't know the guys setup or situation, sounded to me like he was just confirming ID.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 02:46 PM
Because I'm feeling funny:

Hey guys I just got three fish I was wondering if i could get an ID on them I'm not sure what they are?

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/Justin_Zeedrich/frogfish.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/Justin_Zeedrich/Mandarinfish1.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af216/Justin_Zeedrich/Moorish-Idol2.jpg

You don't think that is irresponsible? Pulling delicate organisms from the reef without a hint of insight as to what is necessary in order to meet their very diverse needs? I guess I'm the bad guy, huh?

davocean
06/29/2011, 03:03 PM
I think his comments did show he has a hint or better at what to look for or observe, and I didn't jump to any conclusions like all in same tank, maybe, maybe not.
There are just nicer ways to get your opinion across or inform people w/out going overboard, like your last post that has 2 fish nearly impossible to keep long term no matter how informed you are.
Sarcasm rarely comes off properly in type too BTW.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 03:21 PM
I am aware of the complications with using sarcasm in type.

You can clearly see tube anemones in the background of his pics, so It's safe to assume they are in the same tank. Along with the hair algae, diatom, and toadstool leather as well. All big nonos for keeping delicate nems, especially when kept with 5 other totally different species of anemone.

Allelopathy isn't imaginary or selective of certain tanks. It exists and is a large threat to the OP's tank. You choose to pamper him with kindness and cushion his mistake. I choose to be frank and confronting by saying "Hey, this isnt cool. You should think before you do this again for the sake of the animal."

davocean
06/29/2011, 03:34 PM
Well lets see, I've had BTA's mixed w/ LTA's no problem, crispa mixed w/ LTA(M.doreensis) no problem, LOTS of times in the past I and many of us have had HA and nems, and my present tank has a toadstool and Malu w/ no issues, and I had a giant toadstool w/ my LTA and crispa, again no issues.
I know some people aren't into multiple species being kept, but many do it w/out issues, and just run carbon.
I have no idea how big OP's tank is or if it's all the same tank, and that wasn't his question.
I'm not saying don't voice your opinion, but it can be said nicely, and will probably be better received.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 04:10 PM
Your observation is purely anecdotal. Not visually seeing a disturbance doesnt make it absent or harmless. You will voice your opinion and I will voice mine. That's what a forum is, a hive of opinions. If you want to ignite debate I will oblige, otherwise stand down.

My points are very valid ones and it doesn't really matter what you think of my methods or execution because we are two different people (thank god).

davocean
06/29/2011, 04:40 PM
I'm not saying don't voice your opinion, but it can be said nicely, and will probably be better received.

I'm not sure if you are reading what I write or interpreting it properly, so I'm quoting myself here.
My point is there is no need for debate or jumping on someone.
And if any of our nems are having problems, it's usually pretty visible, at least over time.
Again, OP asked for a simple ID confirmation, other experienced reefers/nem keepers I recognized were able to do that w/out pulling this in a negative direction.

Enyo
06/29/2011, 04:46 PM
it doesn't really matter what you think of my methods or execution because we are two different people (thank god).

davocean
06/29/2011, 06:11 PM
Well I do agree w/ you there, keep thanking the man above, and I'll also thank my parents for teaching me proper social skills and how best to get along w/ others, or most others anyway.:frog:

Repz
06/29/2011, 06:51 PM
Last one is a heteradactyla hemprichii

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 07:25 PM
Last one is a heteradactyla hemprichii

did you mean a Heterodactyla hemprichi?

dirk_brijs
06/29/2011, 07:33 PM
Because I'm feeling funny:

Hey guys I just got three fish I was wondering if i could get an ID on them I'm not sure what they are?

You don't think that is irresponsible? Pulling delicate organisms from the reef without a hint of insight as to what is necessary in order to meet their very diverse needs? I guess I'm the bad guy, huh?

I guess you keep your aquarium for pure scientific reasons right?????
Thinking your reason for keeping anything in your tank how responsible you like and thinking your doing YOUR fish or Corals a favor ripping them of any reef to be in your tank (as I am sure you are the most responsible reefer in the world) is called HYPOCRISY here in Thailand. I know why I keep my reef and yes it is for my own diverse needs and my own little pleasure I just don't have any issues with saying it like it is.
Now move on and let people do their own stuff or else I am sure there are many tea parties you could go to and safe the world by talking about it.