PDA

View Full Version : Booster Pump

dzuckerm
06/29/2011, 12:43 PM
I've been having a problem with low pressure coming into my RO/DI unit so I purchases the booster pump from Air/Water/Ice.

Does anyone have experience with this pump.

Im fairly unhappy with it thusfar. The instructions that came with it were ATROCIOUS! Also one of the electrical wires came undone from its fitting.

I called company. Their answer: go to home depot and buy new fitting. OK fine, I did that.

Hook the unit up to the water supply: lots of leaks. Had to replace multiple fittings but now thats fixed.

Plug the pump in: nothing. Call the company this morning and they start telling me to use the hex wrench and "fine tune the unit" I finally get the pump to power on but still no change in the water pressure. Call the complany again and they explain it will take me 3 hours to fine tune it even further. When I ask why it doesnt say any of this in the instructions, they explain "we are in the process of fine-tuning all of our instructions"

Has this been anyone else's experience? Any good advice for me at this point? I'm seriously thinking of just throwing the thing into the garbage.

The_Codfather
07/10/2011, 03:31 PM
I've been having a problem with low pressure coming into my RO/DI unit so I purchases the booster pump from Air/Water/Ice.

Does anyone have experience with this pump.

Im fairly unhappy with it thusfar. The instructions that came with it were ATROCIOUS! Also one of the electrical wires came undone from its fitting.

I called company. Their answer: go to home depot and buy new fitting. OK fine, I did that.

Hook the unit up to the water supply: lots of leaks. Had to replace multiple fittings but now thats fixed.

Plug the pump in: nothing. Call the company this morning and they start telling me to use the hex wrench and "fine tune the unit" I finally get the pump to power on but still no change in the water pressure. Call the complany again and they explain it will take me 3 hours to fine tune it even further. When I ask why it doesnt say any of this in the instructions, they explain "we are in the process of fine-tuning all of our instructions"

Has this been anyone else's experience? Any good advice for me at this point? I'm seriously thinking of just throwing the thing into the garbage.

I have the same pump and I'm really happy with it.. In fact i just posted in another thread before i saw yours how happy i am with it.. for me it was just plug and play...If it's a lemon right off the bat send it back..BTW..if the electrical wires came undone and with water leaks that is a fire hazard right there and what with you fixing it may of void the warranty

Edit.. Sorry I jumped the gun And thought AWI sold the same pump i have.. I looked at so many when shopping around.. but the rest what said I stand behind with

sportzfish
07/10/2011, 07:37 PM
I am having the same issues, not really easy to fine tune this pump. I have turned the hex/allen bolt all the way in but I figured it should have bottomed out at some point but it just keeps turning. Anyone else have any insight/tips as to how to exactly adjust this pump?

vader88
07/14/2011, 08:37 PM
I am having the same issues, not really easy to fine tune this pump. I have turned the hex/allen bolt all the way in but I figured it should have bottomed out at some point but it just keeps turning. Anyone else have any insight/tips as to how to exactly adjust this pump?

lots and lots of patience. I played with mine endlessly to finally get it working. The thing I found to work best is too adjust the allen key and needle valve half way. Unplug the pump, close off your supply line. Wait about five minutes then slowly open up the supply line, you should see the needle on the guage start moving. One you get there, turn the pump on. Then adjust the silver knob until it stops vibrating. The allen key is you cut off, the maximum psi it will obtain before the safety kicks it off.

Good luck

GTR
07/15/2011, 10:05 AM
What pump did you purchase? I've owned 2 Aquatec pumps in 20 years and never had a problem. Bought a new one and the pressure adjustment going from 38psi to 85psi took 30 seconds. All fittings are JG so leaking was never a problem.

Vinny Kreyling
07/15/2011, 10:45 AM
My Aquatec was plug & go, never adjusted anything.

Awibrandy
10/07/2011, 04:56 PM
I just got my Booster Pump from AWI yesterday. Had some leaks from the push in, pushed those in further, no more leaks.
Plugged it in, turned the ro/di on. The pump kicked on briefly, then immediately cut off. I didn't receive any instructions for the pump, only instructions I received were for how to install filters which I did not order.
I did turn the silver knob all the way, and nothing happened.

Pump only comes on momentarily when I turn the ro/di unit on, and then nothing regardless of how many times I do the previous.

I called (several times, and always get the answering machine) left messages, emailed, PM all to no avail. No return calls, or emails.

Oh yes, there is a small leak by one of the connections that have nothing to do with the pushins.

mc-cro
10/07/2011, 05:44 PM
I bought my pressure pump from AWI several years ago, and had a similiar horrid experience. the instructions were absolute crap, and I got no help from AWI. It took me hours and hours to finally get mine working. Actually, another vendor chimed in on one of my threads asking questions, then he spent about 45 mins on the phone with me one night until we figured out the pressure switch they sent me was not working correctly, no matter what we did with the screw. I ended up ordering another switch from him, and it worked fine after a few minor adjustments.

Awibrandy
10/07/2011, 06:32 PM
Guess I have no choice but to wait on them.:( I did try the hex key thing, and the bypass valve. The problem is that it does not stay on. Not even worrying about the pressure at the moment.

mc-cro
10/07/2011, 06:37 PM
what happens if you bypass the switch? you can just temporarily hook the wires together instead of into the switch. the pump should stay on for as long as the wires are touched to each other. dont leave it like that for more than a minute or so, as if you start building too much pressure you will damage your unit, and probably your RO membrane. but, alteast that will tell yo uif its the switch or the pump

Awibrandy
10/08/2011, 08:44 AM
what happens if you bypass the switch? you can just temporarily hook the wires together instead of into the switch. the pump should stay on for as long as the wires are touched to each other. dont leave it like that for more than a minute or so, as if you start building too much pressure you will damage your unit, and probably your RO membrane. but, alteast that will tell yo uif its the switch or the pump

I'm not going to do this unless instructed to do so by AWI. Not about to give them an out on the warranty.;)

mc-cro
10/08/2011, 08:49 AM
I cant imagine it voiding the warranty, but I guess it could.

all you are doing is turning the pump on and off. you are taking out the pressure switch and just using the wires as an on/off switch. It really sounds like its your pressure switch is either misadjusted, or you dont have it connected in the correct spot.

Awibrandy
10/09/2011, 06:46 AM
I cant imagine it voiding the warranty, but I guess it could.

all you are doing is turning the pump on and off. you are taking out the pressure switch and just using the wires as an on/off switch. It really sounds like its your pressure switch is either misadjusted, or you dont have it connected in the correct spot.

Anything is possible with the commercial world these days unfortunately.;)

Good morning folks, sorry for the slow reply. Had company yesterday. Then I couldn't get on the net for what ever reason my internet service just wasn't working.

I did try adjusting the silver knob, and the hex thing with no results...

The pump, and everything came all put together straight from AWI. All I had to do was connect the pre sediment filter to the in water supply & out to the ro/di.
BTW, my ro/di is equipped with ASOV & Float. Actually AWI has to send me a new ASOV as the original has stopped working a while back.

At this point I am extremely frustrated with AWI. You would think that with my voice mail, pm, and email Thursday evening, and again Friday morning they would have gotten back to me before they went away for the long weekend. Now I will just have to sit & wait till at the very least Tuesday.

In the mean time I ordered new pre filters from BRS instead. Those won't be here till Thursday. More time for the little cyano that has begun to take off.;(

Awibrandy
10/09/2011, 09:27 AM

I did as you suggested, and yes you are correct. It is the switch. So now I know what the problem is, but still can't do a darn thing until AWI decide to contact me concerning their defective merchandise......:thumbdown
I just can't sit, and do nothing.lol

Awibrandy
10/10/2011, 05:38 PM
Got to take my words back.

AWI got back to me today!!! They had a bad storm down in their neck of the woods that knocked out their internet service Thursday evening. Once the internet went down their phone line went down because it is connected to their internet.

In any case the defective parts have already been shipped via UPS.;)

Awibrandy
10/13/2011, 02:42 PM
This is today's update.

AWI parts arrived, I installed them, and it is still no go!!!

I called AWI, and Marissa picked up the phone like on the second ring. After a brief discussion she informed me that because my house PSI is 48 the pump is not reading the need to increase the pressure. Apparently I purchased the pump for no reason.

Therefor I have to choices:
1. Return the pump for a refund.
2. Sell the pump to someone else that can use it.
It actually says the opposite on their site. See below, and please tell me if I truly misunderstood it.

“City and well water pressure can range from 30 PSI to 55 PSI .... The ideal water pressure for an RO system is between 65 to 75 PSI and thus inceasing by increasing your psi up to this level the more efficient the RO system will be .... So Super Charge your reefkeeping system.... Drive the output quantity and water quality too new heights....”

jbonez
10/15/2011, 09:31 AM
my pressure is at a steady 60psi is that ok?

Awibrandy
10/15/2011, 09:40 AM
my pressure is at a steady 60psi is that ok?

You my friend have excellent water pressure for your RO/DI!:)

jbonez
10/15/2011, 09:56 AM
i see your from near my home town i lived in brooklyn my whole life i had a friend who lived in rockaway i think on beach 119

Awibrandy
10/15/2011, 10:01 AM
i see your from near my home town i lived in brooklyn my whole life i had a friend who lived in rockaway i think on beach 119

Small world my friend!:) I'm on Beach 29..:fish2:

jbonez
10/15/2011, 10:46 AM
cool thanks for the pressure issue. also in your oppion do peppermint shrimp work on apitasia

Awibrandy
10/15/2011, 11:12 AM
cool thanks for the pressure issue. also in your oppion do peppermint shrimp work on apitasia

Some do, some don't. Like with every other animal you never know.lol

I have in past gotten rid of aptasia by filling a syringe with plain white vinegar, and injecting the little buggers directly in the center.;) Gotta be quick though.:spin2:

jbonez
10/15/2011, 11:14 AM
should i pull the rock out of the water?

Awibrandy
10/15/2011, 02:53 PM
should i pull the rock out of the water?

If you can pull it from the tank into some sort of container with tank water it would make things easier for you. You will have to wait for the aiptasia to open back up so do put a heater & power head in the container with it.;)

dzuckerm
11/09/2011, 08:12 PM
Awibrandy,
I had the same problem. Played with the allen wrench and the needle valve for hours and could never get the pump to stay on. finally AWI sent me a new pressure regulator and that seemed to do the trick. I was happy with AWI's responses and ultimate solution, but they REALLY need to work on their instructions. i mean REALLY! they are horrendous