PDA

View Full Version : Unattaching clam from rock

justletmein
06/18/2003, 11:13 PM
I just picked up a used Squamosa and the guy who had him let him attach on a big piece of live rock. I've got it in my clam lagoon now, but it looks goofy having one clam high up on a rock and the others all in the sand.

Can I gently cut the threads with a razor or scissors? Any other ways? If I can't get him off I can probably bury the rock in the sand bed, but would rather not do that.

AQUAN8TOR
06/21/2003, 10:34 AM
since no one else feels like answering, yes, you can use a razor blade---don't use scissors, IMHO.

This question seems to come up a lot with clam keepers. Just be careful not to cut the tissue around the byssus opening. There isn't much of one on a squamosa, so don't be worried. It's much more difficult, IMHO, on a crocea---big opening. If you're not familar, the byssus is the opening on the underside between the shells---next to the 'hinge'. On squamosa's it is rather small---almost nonexistent. On croceas and some maximas it can be huge.

Point is, just cut the threads. Cut as close as you can to the shell without endangering the mantle tissue. don't worry about the threads--they are protein similar to our fingernails as an analogy.

I personally would just leave the clam on the rock---it's just going to end up attatched to another one in relatively short order. If you're dead set on removing it, just be careful. use a new blade and you don't have much to worry about.

happy clamming.

justletmein
06/21/2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks Jazzy! I went and got an exacto hobby knife (cheap one with plastic handle). There was no resistance at all, I didn't even know I was cutting through the threads!

I'm glad I removed him from the rock. I took him out and hit him with a toothbrush and removed at least 50 pyramid snails from the mantle area. I've got him on the sand now so I can remove him and check for snails from time to time. I don't want them spreading to other clams. He's pretty big, so I don't plan on putting him on the rocks.

AQUAN8TOR
06/21/2003, 01:56 PM
no problem. I hate those snails. I've found coris gaimard (red coris wrasse) to be the most effective at erradication. Other wrasses will eat them, but I like the (juvenile) red corises the best. If you do obtain one, make sure the white bands present on juveniles haven't begun to fade yet---less than 3". Once the bands start to fade, I'd remove the fish and obtain another one, or a different species. Coris gaimard, I've found, will start to pull hermits and snails from their shells as they mature and lose their juvenile bands.