PDA

View Full Version : SPS eroding away, Help!

Plato
07/01/2011, 11:52 AM
Need help please, very frustrating. I have a three year old tank 275 6x2x3 reef tank that over the past few months the sps I've added slowly loose color then start to die. Its not rtn as I have experienced this before and is much faster happening over days not weeks. Lighting, 3 x 400 watt XM 15K with 2 x 80watt Giesemann Pure Actinic T5 HO Lamps and 2 x 80watt Giesemann Actinic + T5 HO Lamps. Water flow; main pump 1500 gph and 2 x MP 60s. Tank stays @ 77F, Ca 450, Dkh 11, Mg 1400, Po4 .06, and NO3 10 to 25. There is some red slime algae starting to grow in a few spots. The change started after I swapped my Tunze streams for the MP 60. The tank got stirred up a lot more, helping to remove settled detritus that the streams could not get to. Before the MP 60s my NO3 was 5 to 10 and my PO4 was .003. I have only had the 60s on for two months and the tank looks better but frustrating with the eroding corals.

I assume that by the production of slime algae signs to poorer water quality possibly to disturbing settled detritus releasing hidden nutrients into the water column that will eventually get removed and establishing lower PO4 and No3 levels will hopefully eliminate my sps problem as well as coralline algae not growing on the top 1/3 of the live rock in the tank (has no problem on the lower part of the tank).

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Pallobi
07/01/2011, 12:55 PM
imo, your alk is a little high, but that doesnt mean anything if its always been at that level and your corals grew that with it at that level... have you checked for pests?

Plato
07/01/2011, 01:03 PM
Normal Ca for the tank is 420-450 and alk is 10-13. No pest. I have established sps with no problem. Its just the new ones. I ususll put them on the bottom for two to four weeks then at weekly intervals slowly move them up to where I want them, maybe I moved some to quickly?

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu286/ftccbrianmiller/7139ec34.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu286/ftccbrianmiller/02550777.jpg

M007
07/01/2011, 03:57 PM
Certainly a mass release of detritus could cause some die off. Also the MP's have different flow characteristics. You've made a few major changes to your closed system, expect it to respond accordingly.

surfjeepzx
07/01/2011, 04:48 PM
Do a large water change (55 gallons drum size) and add about 2 lbs of GAC to the sump. Add it passively in a high flow area where most of the water must pass. Also consider adding filter socks to help remove detritus. Consider adding GFO to reduce your phosphates and/or starting a carbon routine with vinegar or vodka as a carbon source.

ihavtats29
07/01/2011, 04:55 PM
it may be your higher alk levels depending on where your new corals came from the alk can be much lower, too fast of aclimation may be the cause

roberto_lopes
07/01/2011, 06:12 PM
Was your water really clear before the MP60s ?

The mp60 has nearly NO FLOW in front of the pump. (just put your hand and you will see), so I think that the flow on some SPS was too low.

Try put two tunzes back (with the mp60) and see how it will respond.

Plato
07/02/2011, 10:51 AM
Do a large water change (55 gallons drum size) and add about 2 lbs of GAC to the sump. Add it passively in a high flow area where most of the water must pass. Also consider adding filter socks to help remove detritus. Consider adding GFO to reduce your phosphates and/or starting a carbon routine with vinegar or vodka as a carbon source.

Started 100 gallon water changes weekly. Using Two Little Fish 550 reactor filled with carbon. Using a CADS instead of filter socks.http://seavisions.com/CADS%20PAGE.htm Using PO4X4 Phosphate Remover. Running Next reef XL media reactor with 2l of biopellets ( up running for 3 weeks only)

Plato
07/02/2011, 10:54 AM
it may be your higher alk levels depending on where your new corals came from the alk can be much lower, too fast of aclimation may be the cause

Corals cam in from with 10 on dkh. Aclimation no the problem as this started a month after they were added coenciding with the time frame of the mp 60 additions. The other cause could be I moved them too fast up in the tank. It is 36" tall. I start all at the bottom then move up.:headwally:

Plato
07/02/2011, 10:59 AM
Was your water really clear before the MP60s ?

The mp60 has nearly NO FLOW in front of the pump. (just put your hand and you will see), so I think that the flow on some SPS was too low.

Try put two tunzes back (with the mp60) and see how it will respond.

Yes, tank had no ill side effect. Good polyp extension but had poor water flow on bottom and sides of tank. Do you own a 60? If I put my hand in front of the 60 this thing is a beast! With the two 60s the polyps move more now than ever. No go on the tunzes, already moved them to a different tank. I have two 40s that might go on the back of the tank but might be overkill.

Plato
07/02/2011, 11:12 AM
Motion of the ocean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMMeewqLl8U