PDA

View Full Version : cone vs non cone skimmer

Zigi
07/02/2011, 04:38 AM
i see all around people buy the cone skimmers
but respected companies like deltec do not work with that method.
i what to buy a new skimmer, and i am confused.

no-cone skimmers are obsolete or less efficient ?

thx

James77
07/02/2011, 06:11 AM
There are many companies more respected than Deltec that do employ the use of cones. Standard skimmers are nowhere near obsolete na cone is just another feature that can help a skimmer be more efficient. Just a skimmer being a done does not automatically equal good, you can have poorly matched motors, inadequate air, and miserable air chopping.

I've owned both, and both can work well. Cones are much more competitive so price is not a killer anymore. I consider it a beneficial addition, but there are many standard skimmers I would take over some of the garbage cones out there. Pick one that has rave reviews, whether it be standard or cone.

James77
07/02/2011, 06:13 AM
There are many companies more respected than Deltec that do employ the use of cones. Standard skimmers are nowhere near obsolete, a cone is just another feature that can help a skimmer be more efficient. Just a skimmer being a cone does not automatically equal good, you can have poorly matched motors, inadequate air, and miserable air chopping.

I've owned both, and both can work well. Cones are much more competitive so price is not a killer anymore. I consider it a beneficial addition, but there are many standard skimmers I would take over some of the garbage cones out there. Pick one that has rave reviews, whether it be standard or cone.

James77
07/02/2011, 06:13 AM
Double

rkaires
07/02/2011, 04:48 PM
There are many companies more respected than Deltec that do employ the use of cones. Standard skimmers are nowhere near obsolete na cone is just another feature that can help a skimmer be more efficient. Just a skimmer being a done does not automatically equal good, you can have poorly matched motors, inadequate air, and miserable air chopping.

1+

Excellent advice.

mordibv
07/02/2011, 04:57 PM
+2 well said James .. I would say Am** to that but I'm not going to get into a spiritual debate .

rkaires
07/02/2011, 05:23 PM
:thumbsup:

mojo~
07/02/2011, 06:59 PM
Couldnt of said it better myself. Great advice

wildman926
07/02/2011, 07:18 PM
I would choose, and have chosen, standard skimmers due to the larger chamber volume, which has more time for the scrubbing action to occur. I would make sure I had the height available under the stand, and the water depth available in the sump for it. If either one or both or not feasible, then that is when I would find the very best cone there is.

Zigi
07/03/2011, 09:51 AM
thank you for your replys.
now i understand the difference.

my old skimmer stopt building his head (dont know why)
i have 116g reef (with the sump vol.), but i want to
enlarge the tank in the future to about 250g .

can you guys recommed a good skimmer pls?

once again- thx for the help !

ksed
07/03/2011, 10:51 AM
What is your budget

thank you for your replys.
now i understand the difference.

my old skimmer stopt building his head (dont know why)
i have 116g reef (with the sump vol.), but i want to
enlarge the tank in the future to about 250g .

can you guys recommed a good skimmer pls?

once again- thx for the help !

t4zalews
07/03/2011, 03:30 PM
I used a ER RS80 that was a non-cone and switched to an SRO xp1000sss thinking that since it was a cone it would be better. I've since switched back to the ER as the pump and body configuration way outperformed the SRO.

ksed
07/03/2011, 04:31 PM
Good info Taylor

Good to know those ER's are still plugging away.

I used a ER RS80 that was a non-cone and switched to an SRO xp1000sss thinking that since it was a cone it would be better. I've since switched back to the ER as the pump and body configuration way outperformed the SRO.

Zigi
07/04/2011, 12:49 AM
thx Taylor !

ksed, my budget is avarge ( my price is not the same as in your country)

huig
07/04/2011, 12:56 AM
I have both and both perform well.

Cones sell better, if a clever marketing guy makes people believe the newest thing are dodecahedron skimmers people would buy it.

I' ve read a post from the representative of one of the most respected brands. He said "Cones do not perform better but they sell better, that is why we make them"

shifty51008
07/04/2011, 01:43 AM
IMO I would go with reef dynamics skimmers (formally euro reef) they are great skimmers.

for a 250 gal. tank i would go with a INS300 as long as the 250 gal. is including sump vol. also otherwise add in the total water vol. and match the skimmer.