PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me whats going On with my tang?

msaleem
07/02/2011, 06:27 AM
Like the title says. I just purchased it less then 24 hours ago from a LFS where I know it was in a qt before they sold it. Regardless, it was speeding around before and hitting the tank and now it's just acting all crazy. Is it stressed and if so, what can I do to help. :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3TJBLFR83I
Thanks guys

sjwitt
07/02/2011, 06:38 AM
I sincerely hope you cycled that tank. It looks very new. Check your water parameters and make sure there is no ammonia and nitrite in the water. Otherwise if you cycled the tank and your water is at zero for ammonia and nitrite then I'd say he's just stressed and probably is seeing his own reflection in the glass (which he will try to battle with).

The behavior in the video didn't appear all that abnormal to me... he's swimming into the flow of the circulation fans ... mine do that too. my tangs also have times when they swim around very fast... that's why tangs need bigger tanks, they like to swim. Maybe he is just relieved to be in his own tank but putting him in first may not have been the wisest move. They are aggressive fish and he will 'own' that tank so new comers beware.

Also, I understand the LFS said they quarantine fish but that doesn't mean you shouldn't quarantine them yourself. If that fish brings ich into the system they you'll have to go fallow for weeks in the main tank. Just saying, it's better to QT every fish in bare bottom QT tank.

billdogg
07/02/2011, 08:05 AM
Looks normal for a powder blue in a small (ish) tank. It will be much happier in a larger (longer) tank. (and I AM NOT the Tang Police - at one point I had a sailfin in a 60g cube - long before anybody knew any better, that is)

And +1 on the QT - especially for tangs and other disease prone fish.

msaleem
07/02/2011, 08:23 AM
The tank is cycled for 3 weeks, everything is perfect parameters wise. added cuc 3 days ago. Everyone doing well so decided to get this guy. Other then that that's the greatest advice I've gotten from anyone in this forum, and I have gotten great advice before to help with my tank.
Next time I will qt every fish, and now I'm hoping that my other fish will get along when I add them ex yellow tang!! Sigh
Thanks

msaleem
07/02/2011, 08:26 AM
Looks normal for a powder blue in a small (ish) tank. It will be much happier in a larger (longer) tank. (and I AM NOT the Tang Police - at one point I had a sailfin in a 60g cube - long before anybody knew any better, that is)

And +1 on the QT - especially for tangs and other disease prone fish.

I just got this tank as an upgrade from red seamax 130d. In a year or so I'm planning to get a 135 tank, hopefully it'll be fine in this one. Thanks

snorvich
07/02/2011, 08:59 AM
The video looks pretty normal for that fish in a smallish tank. LFS don't quarantine even if they say they do, they really don't. Their fish share water and new introductions happen all the time. When you ask for help, it is best to provide: SG, Ca, alk, (ammonia and nitrite if your tank is new)

ginger7286
07/02/2011, 09:02 AM
Get used to the fact EVERY tang is a quirk! They have to be the strangest, weirdest fish out there. They are beautiful but WEIRD! I have one a hippo and she is a beauty. I have had her since she was about 3-4 inches and now she's about 8" she was weird the day I brought her home and she still just as weird. I have come to the conclusion they just live in their own little Tang world. 'nuff said.

snorvich
07/02/2011, 09:52 AM
There is some truth to what Ginger said.:debi:

Dazed1
07/02/2011, 09:56 AM
.wrong thread.

tmz
07/02/2011, 10:03 AM
3 weeks cycling is quick. I'd watch closely for a potential secondary ammonia spike. Nice fish good luck with it.
FWIW,I quarantine every new specimen and treat prophylacticly for ich via the tank transfer method.

Sisterlimonpot
07/02/2011, 10:34 AM
My powder blue does the same thing every now and then in the morning before the lights come on while therrs ambient light coming through the windows. From my experience that's normal behavior. I've had this guy for about a year and a half.

I agree with tmz that 3 weeks is fairly quick for a cycle. It would be wise to watch for ammonia again and have a plan if it pops up.

snorvich
07/02/2011, 11:32 AM
3 weeks cycling is quick. I'd watch closely for a potential secondary ammonia spike. Nice fish good luck with it.
FWIW,I quarantine every new specimen and treat prophylacticly for ich via the tank transfer method.

This is the first time I have seen advocacy for the tank transfer method. I personally think this is the absolute best way to quarantine and/or treat.

snorvich
07/02/2011, 11:42 AM
And for those who do not know what the tank transfer method is:

The theory behind the tank transfer method for treating Cryptocaryon irritans is to move a fish from one tank to the other when the parasites fall off the fish. This happens during dark times in the aquarium so moving the animal first thing in the morning is preferred. The parasites that fall off do not have the ability to complete the life cycle and re-attach. Since the originating tank is a QT tank, simply drain it, clean it, and reestablish it for the next tank transfer. The filter floss used as a seeded biological filter is tossed as is all water. Any PVC is sterilized and any transfer equipment as well. This depletes and eventually eliminates the parasites available to reattach and as a consequence will create a parasite free fish. This is not without stress to the fish but it is in some ways better than copper and just as effective as either copper or hyposalinity. I personally advocate a transfer not using nets.

aday2remmbr
07/02/2011, 11:43 AM
with my fish, the only fish i quarantine are tangs, i have never had a parasite or disease outbreak. i believe it is quite necessary to qt a tang as they are one of th emost prone fish to ich and other parasites. also 3 weeks for a cycle is a bit short could you post your params?

sjwitt
07/02/2011, 01:22 PM
The tank is cycled for 3 weeks, everything is perfect parameters wise. added cuc 3 days ago. Everyone doing well so decided to get this guy. Other then that that's the greatest advice I've gotten from anyone in this forum, and I have gotten great advice before to help with my tank.
Next time I will qt every fish, and now I'm hoping that my other fish will get along when I add them ex yellow tang!! Sigh
Thanks

Well, it's always a risk when adding new livestock. You never know who's going to 'cop an attitude' ... I've seen people use in-tank isolation boxes to introduce new fish. Here's a link if you're interested in something like that. http://coralnuggets.com/product_info.php?products_id=409&osCsid=dfb3133d81b6aff234e0ca257476c75d

Of course you should wait at least a couple of weeks before adding anything new. Your tank is relatively 'young' so allow the biological filter to compensate for the blue before adding anything else ... oh, and don't forget to QT that new guy. I usually go 4-6 weeks minimum in QT.

msaleem
07/02/2011, 05:00 PM
Thank you all. I've been checking the params everyday so I keep all my fish healthy. I was thinking about doing a water change but so not know when to. Or should I wait the full month to change water.