PDA

View Full Version : UPS battery backup for Vortech

Orcrone
07/02/2011, 06:51 AM
I know EcoTech sells battery backups for their pumps, but I have a spare UPS in good shape. Less expensive UPS's will not drive powerheads properly due to their stepped approximation to a sine wave, but since Vortechs use a transformer I figure this won't be an issue.

Will this work and should the UPS (650VA) give me reasonable run time? Vortech backups are supposed to last 30 hours with a single powerhead. I'm not expecting the UPS to last that long, but I don't want it dying in 30 minutes.

Thanks....

nvdiz
07/02/2011, 09:56 AM
i used a ups before the battery went out, and if u run a vortech (mp10) alone on its battery u shud get around 10-20 min.

Orcrone
07/02/2011, 10:52 AM
i used a ups before the battery went out, and if u run a vortech (mp10) alone on its battery u shud get around 10-20 min.

Sounds like a should buy the battery backup from EcoTech. Thanks!!

Plato
07/02/2011, 03:03 PM
I use a float charger on my D34 optima battery. Just get the matching end plug at Radio Shack. The ecotech controller will automatically switch over to batter power when it looses line voltage. The pump will just run at half rpm. 12v vs. 24. The run time? I had a power outage for 19 hours and my pump still kept going. MP40.