PDA

View Full Version : S.G. and Ich question?

Rembee
07/02/2011, 01:02 PM
Hello Guy's, I have a question for you.
My LFS guy told me that my PSU at 33 which equals 1.025 S.G. is to high cause it will promote Ich. I have been researching this all morning and I can not find anything that says a S.G. at 1.025 will promote Ich!

Does anyone have any knowledge of this to be true?
Thanks

AquaReeferMan
07/02/2011, 01:16 PM
I would find a new LFS guy, simple as that... I bet 75% of people on this site keep their SG at 1.025 or higher(including me). You can search all you want but you will not find anything backing that statement up because it is not true.

Sisterlimonpot
07/02/2011, 01:58 PM
there's some truth in the statement of promoting the growth of a parasite. Basically ich will survive or live in the conditions of 1.025. And the lfs (like many other lfs) keeps their salinity a little lower like 1.015-1.020 just because it lowers the stress level of the fish making them look healthier for resale. The truth in his statement is that when a fish is less stressed the chances of visable signs of ich wont be present. The fish will more than likely be infected by the parasite but you wont be aware of it because the fish looks healthy.

One of the ways to Qt a fish is in hyposalinity of 1.009 for 6 weeks which will ensure the eradication of the ich parasite.

Rembee
07/02/2011, 02:10 PM
Thank ya'll. I have been reading so much this morning trying to find this my eyes hurt...lol.

Now...this leads to another question..lol. Is it ok to have the S.G. for a quarantine tank @ 1.009?

I don't have any fish as of yet and probably won't have any until the end of Aug. I'm only 2 weeks into my cycling. But, I will be quarantining all my fish, one at a time, before placement in the DT.

Sisterlimonpot
07/02/2011, 02:29 PM
There's more then 1 way to qt your fish. The top 3 are cupramine, hyposalinity, and the tank transfer method. You can read about them in one of the stickys at the top of this forum by waterkeeper.
But to answer your question, if you choose hypo then you have to lower the salinity of the water the fish is in over a day or so. Then you monitor the salinity to maintain it at 1.009. To learn more read about it in the sticky.

Rembee
07/02/2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you Sister

snorvich
07/02/2011, 04:34 PM
I would find a new LFS guy, simple as that... I bet 75% of people on this site keep their SG at 1.025 or higher(including me). You can search all you want but you will not find anything backing that statement up because it is not true.

Yes. The advice was absurd. Who knows what else he will tell you!

:sad2:

Rembee
07/02/2011, 04:49 PM
I agree snorvich. I do not intend on going back there.

MrTuskfish
07/02/2011, 06:00 PM
Promote ich? Either you have ich in your system or you don't; there just isn't any room for any 3rd option.

MrTuskfish
07/03/2011, 11:17 AM
there's some truth in the statement of promoting the growth of a parasite. Basically ich will survive or live in the conditions of 1.025. And the lfs (like many other lfs) keeps their salinity a little lower like 1.015-1.020 just because it lowers the stress level of the fish making them look healthier for resale. The truth in his statement is that when a fish is less stressed the chances of visable signs of ich wont be present. The fish will more than likely be infected by the parasite but you wont be aware of it because the fish looks healthy.

In other words, the lfs is basically admitting their fish systems have an ich problem. A fish from a lfs tank certainly is (IMO) going to be more "stressed' (the most over-used word in the hobby, IMO) by being bagged, transported, and acclimated to a new tank than he would be by the increase in SG. Just another unproven opinion: I think the ich parasite suffers at a lower SG and this has as much effect on the visible ich as does the fish's stress. In any case; if a tank has ich, it will show up sooner or later.
Before LR made reefkeeping possible, many hobbiests (me included) kept tanks at about 1.017. I'm still convinced that fish are more active at a lower SG. However, I remember lots of published info that showed problems with fish being kept at a low SG for long periods.

snorvich
07/03/2011, 11:55 AM
In other words, the lfs is basically admitting their fish systems have an ich problem. A fish from a lfs tank certainly is (IMO) going to be more "stressed' (the most over-used word in the hobby, IMO) by being bagged, transported, and acclimated to a new tank than he would be by the increase in SG. Just another unproven opinion: I think the ich parasite suffers at a lower SG and this has as much effect on the visible ich as does the fish's stress. In any case; if a tank has ich, it will show up sooner or later.
Before LR made reefkeeping possible, many hobbiests (me included) kept tanks at about 1.017. I'm still convinced that fish are more active at a lower SG. However, I remember lots of published info that showed problems with fish being kept at a low SG for long periods.

I agree with the above. While I keep my tanks as close to 1.0264 as possible, over the week they slide a bit and I raise them back up. What I do, however, is keep my tanks at 77F. My personal opinion is that fish tend to be healthier at lower temperatures and more active with more dissolved oxygen in the water. Just my opinion and is what I do. :hmm5:

msaleem
07/03/2011, 12:05 PM
Ive read somewhere that ich is always in your system, even if your fish have ich or not. Only when fish get stressed is when ich has a chance of leaching onto the fish. Any truth in that? Let's say if you don't have ich on your fish and nothing is introduced into your tank for let's say 6 months. So you slack off and for whatever reason your fish are very stressed and catch ich. Correct? How did your fish catch it when you had no signs on ich prior?

Mr.Tan
07/03/2011, 12:11 PM
delete

MrTuskfish
07/03/2011, 01:05 PM
Ive read somewhere that ich is always in your system, even if your fish have ich or not. Only when fish get stressed is when ich has a chance of leaching onto the fish. Any truth in that? Let's say if you don't have ich on your fish and nothing is introduced into your tank for let's say 6 months. So you slack off and for whatever reason your fish are very stressed and catch ich. Correct? How did your fish catch it when you had no signs on ich prior?

I've read that Elvis is alive and living in Cleveland too. Ich is not in every tank. Something has to introduce it. QT everything wet, treat as needed, and you won't have it. I haven't seen ich in any of my tanks, and I keep a lot of fish, since I started the QT routine----at least 15 years. There MAY be some ich forms that can stay dormant for 6 months, I think the jury is still out on that. But, even if that's the case, that doesn't mean all tanks have ich. I think this myth is kept alive by a small group who don't know how to properly deal with ich, or refuse to. Many hobbyists seem to have a way to "manage" it; but I sure don't suggest that route.

Sisterlimonpot
07/03/2011, 01:07 PM

Not correct. Ich is a parasite and if your tank doesn't have ich its not going to come from nothing. The truth of the matter is that most tanks have ich and don't know it just because most hobbyist don't take the time to quarantine and treat for ich. So once a fish gets stressed for what ever reason the ich will start showing visible signs of the parasite. However not every tank has ich and there are steps to ensure you don't have it, which include quarantining everything before adding it to your tank (rock, corals, snails etc). For the simple fact that ich may be present on the surfaces of what you introduce to the tank. Making sure that the ich doesn't have any host to attach to to continue its cycle will ensure its demise.

doctorgori
07/03/2011, 01:33 PM
Yes. The advice was absurd. Who knows what else he will tell you!

:sad2:

Buy this Marc Weiss product :eek2:

snorvich
07/03/2011, 02:51 PM
Buy this Marc Weiss product :eek2:

Absolutely. Cures baldness and ich.