PDA

View Full Version : External pumps

co45co
07/02/2011, 08:35 PM
Anyone that has an external pump, could you tell me what material it is that is used for the "volute" (I think that is what is called), the chamber that the water passes through. Is it plastic? or coated/non-coated metal? Also, same question in regards to the impeller. I can't seem to find a clear cut answer to this online; perhaps I am searching for the wrong thing.

Thank you.

jon99
07/02/2011, 08:48 PM
I have an iwaki. Both the volute and impeller are plastic. Great pumps too.

co45co
07/02/2011, 08:57 PM
Thank you, do you know if all or almost all externals pumps use plastic?

jon99
07/02/2011, 09:06 PM
I would say yes. Try looking on a website like bulkreefsupply under the pump section. They have pics which may help.

createdlight
07/02/2011, 09:15 PM
My reeflo super dart gold is made out of Glass Reinforced Polypro Housing

co45co
07/02/2011, 09:17 PM
I found it hard to tell from the pics, I'm still looking through youtube videos. I asked because I saw an article about how iron is okay in our tanks (well gfo, as well as chelated iron for macroalgea, and in fish foods). So I was wondering if a external pump that had a steel volute would be okay. I've read that the reeflo pumps have springs that rust after awhile as well. It wouldn't be for a reef tank, but a fowlr. Just curious for other people's opinions/experience.

co45co
07/02/2011, 09:21 PM
Okay, quick search of polypro, yields some insight. Thanks for the details.

co45co
07/02/2011, 10:26 PM
Oh and assuming I would seal the volute with a coat something like silicon (or any other suggestions?). The impeller itself is plastic. Sorry forgot to mention that.

OceanNut
07/02/2011, 10:42 PM
What are your concerns exactly and why the need to seal the volute with silicon? The pumps, for salt use, are based R&D.

co45co
07/02/2011, 11:17 PM
Because I have a large pump that has a steel volute, so I was asking what other pump volutes are made of so that maybe I could coat the steel with something that they are made of like some form of Polypropylene or silicon to seal it up so it doesn't rust. If I could avoid spending 300 dollars on a reeflo and spend 50 bucks on silicon or even 200 on something else; would be worth it to me. Its a 1/2 hp motor with 1.5 inch inlet/outlet volute. To be used for a closed loop.

Hope that explains. If there really is no hope for it to be safe then I'll abandon the idea. I'm just being curious in my thinking.