PDA

View Full Version : Par30/38 bulbs on 40 gallon breeder?

Charley Diesing
07/03/2011, 07:56 AM
Well after some thought I decided to do some research on Led spot lights, the par38 bulbs, and par30 bulbs. My initial plan was to run a 6 bulb T5 Tek fixture, but I realized that if I had to replace the bulbs twice a year that would be like 240 dollars a year? Is that worth it lol?

So my aqua-scape is to have two islands of rock. One on the left one on the right and was going to point two Par30, or Par38 bulbs on the island's. Later I'm going to add two more Par 30, or Par38 bulbs, but just to keep the initial start up cost low I'm just gonna start with two.

Which bulb is better in your opinion?

Tell me some pros and cons of both?

This is the Par30 bulb I'm thinking of using...

http://www.boostled.com/collections/frontpage/products/par30-reef-lamps

These are some of the Par38 bulbs I'm thinking of using.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_PAR38_LED_Aquarium_Lamp_-Ecoxotic-XX06850-FILTBULD-vi.html

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/%28New%29-7-LED-PAR38/Detail

I'm also more the welcome to any ideas, although I'm really not interested in any DIY kits.

Thanks in a lot for always answering my questions Reef central members, I really appreciate it. :)

Charley

greech
07/03/2011, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure what color the bulb combo produces on the rapidled PAR38 but I like the fact that you can get 60 or 80 degree optics. The ecoxotics are nice bulbs but they only come in 40 degree optics.

Hagisan
07/03/2011, 10:03 AM
Here's a great thread on the PAR bulbs.

PAR38 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746535&highlight=par+38)

HTH

rtparty
07/03/2011, 12:14 PM
Why do you have to replace T5 bulbs twice a year? With proper cooling they only need to be replaced once a year.

I am not saying you shouldn't go LED but your information is incorrect regarding T5's.

I used a RapidLED PAR38 bulb over my tank for about a month. It was alright but I wouldn't ever use one again. There is no dusk/dawn with them unless you hide them in a canopy and add other LED's to fill in that void.

I am currently using some Ecoxotic EcoPico LED strips over my tank and love them. They are totally modular and I can control them for dusk/dawn.

I don't ever see Ecoxotic recommended here and I think it is a shame. Everyone wants the HIGH powered LED's that they have to dial back 50%. It is a waste if you ask me. Ecoxotic offers an array of colors and they produce plenty of PAR for our tanks.

I am a huge fan of the high powered ATI fixtures but when it comes to LED's I don't think we need 1500 PAR, 6" into the tank. I recommend ATI because they are really the only manufacture that has gotten T5 stuff right. All the others lack somewhere IMO.

If I could have my 40 gallon breeder back, I would be using a 23.5" Ecoxotic Panorama over the tank. Especially since they have the Panorama PRO LED's out.

moonpod
07/03/2011, 12:36 PM
Using par 38 to light my 32" cube. But it's really early. Just finished cycling

Charley Diesing
07/03/2011, 12:40 PM
Why do you have to replace T5 bulbs twice a year? With proper cooling they only need to be replaced once a year.

I am not saying you shouldn't go LED but your information is incorrect regarding T5's.

I used a RapidLED PAR38 bulb over my tank for about a month. It was alright but I wouldn't ever use one again. There is no dusk/dawn with them unless you hide them in a canopy and add other LED's to fill in that void.

I am currently using some Ecoxotic EcoPico LED strips over my tank and love them. They are totally modular and I can control them for dusk/dawn.

I don't ever see Ecoxotic recommended here and I think it is a shame. Everyone wants the HIGH powered LED's that they have to dial back 50%. It is a waste if you ask me. Ecoxotic offers an array of colors and they produce plenty of PAR for our tanks.

I am a huge fan of the high powered ATI fixtures but when it comes to LED's I don't think we need 1500 PAR, 6" into the tank. I recommend ATI because they are really the only manufacture that has gotten T5 stuff right. All the others lack somewhere IMO.

If I could have my 40 gallon breeder back, I would be using a 23.5" Ecoxotic Panorama over the tank. Especially since they have the Panorama PRO LED's out.

Well non the less once a year new bulbs thats still a lot of money... And the Tek fixture doesnt have fans...

Anyway so how important is the dusk/dawn effect?

And my goal is to keep the equipment side of the initial purchase of the tank under 1K, and blowing 700 bucks on the lighting fixture isn't going to happen sadly...

Charley Diesing
07/03/2011, 12:41 PM
Here's a great thread on the PAR bulbs.

PAR38 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746535&highlight=par+38)

HTH

Thank you.. :)

rtparty
07/03/2011, 12:51 PM
Well non the less once a year new bulbs thats still a lot of money... And the Tek fixture doesnt have fans...

Anyway so how important is the dusk/dawn effect?

And my goal is to keep the equipment side of the initial purchase of the tank under 1K, and blowing 700 bucks on the lighting fixture isn't going to happen sadly...

An external fan works wonders to help cool the Tek fixtures.

I don't think there is any scientific data behind a dusk/dawn so it is all personal preference. For me I love looking at my tank with all blue LED's on. The colors are unreal for those couple hours.

I didn't like having either on or off. There was no in between and with only one bulb in my case, I couldn't get the color I liked for my tank.

I am not trying to talk you out of the PAR3x bulbs. Just know your limitations with them. I didn't like the lack of customization with them and unfortunately I didn't think of that before buying the bulb.

Just throwing that out there for you. I could have saved some money and time if I had thought it all out.

moonpod
07/03/2011, 01:01 PM
On the ecoxotic bulb. In my back row I have an ecoxotic and a nanotuners. They are pretty similar. The ecoxotic is probably a tad more "full spectrum" looking than the nanotuners which is somewhat bluer. Me I like the full daylight sorta look, so I am using 6500k bulbs in the front. What I like is the ease of playing with the different Par38 because well, the "fixture" is just a can. I can add more if I want, but it would seem to be overkill.

I had dusk/dawn on my last tank. Used the ACLS ballasts on 400w mh. It's really cool, but I have no idea if it's anything other than "hey that looks cool".

There ARE dimmable par38 6500k bulbs

Charley Diesing
07/03/2011, 03:22 PM
On the ecoxotic bulb. In my back row I have an ecoxotic and a nanotuners. They are pretty similar. The ecoxotic is probably a tad more "full spectrum" looking than the nanotuners which is somewhat bluer. Me I like the full daylight sorta look, so I am using 6500k bulbs in the front. What I like is the ease of playing with the different Par38 because well, the "fixture" is just a can. I can add more if I want, but it would seem to be overkill.

I had dusk/dawn on my last tank. Used the ACLS ballasts on 400w mh. It's really cool, but I have no idea if it's anything other than "hey that looks cool".

There ARE dimmable par38 6500k bulbs

Hey man I sent you a PM

NyReefNoob
07/03/2011, 05:29 PM
charley for a 40g breeder you will need about 6 of those bulbs i have 2 of them on my aquapod 24g to get complete coverage in the tank at 12" high

PR_Reefers
07/03/2011, 05:39 PM
I'm a noob when it comes to led's.... but I'm also setting up a 40g also currently I run tek 6 bulb... and plan to use it for my upgrade or should I say downgrade hehe....anyways so are these PAR38 better, equal or worse than the more common individual Leds? with regards to growth and coloration mainly..

lilyost4290
07/04/2011, 08:00 PM
I have four par38 bulbs over my 4ft tank. I have sps and anemones growing at all levels and i think the coverage is pretty good, but they are spot lighty. Heres my tank and you can easily see how the spot light effect is due to the different color bulbs I chose. 1 all actinic, 1 20k, and 2 12k.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/lilyost4290/DSCN0178.jpg

Charley Diesing
07/04/2011, 09:57 PM
I have four par38 bulbs over my 4ft tank. I have sps and anemones growing at all levels and i think the coverage is pretty good, but they are spot lighty. Heres my tank and you can easily see how the spot light effect is due to the different color bulbs I chose. 1 all actinic, 1 20k, and 2 12k.

hey man thanks for the respond... Where did you get your lights?

mikimis
07/12/2011, 07:46 PM

This is a great picture...I like seeing the spectrum differences side by side. Thank you!