PDA

View Full Version : 180 Gallon Stocking Help

button13
07/03/2011, 11:30 PM
I am in the process of planning my 180 gallon mixed reef tank, and the first order of business is the stocking plan so I can make accomidations for the future inhabitants. This is a rough stocking list, and it needs some adjustments. I plan to have an oversized skimmer (I don't know what brand yet, but suggestions would be great ) and the largest sump/refugium I can cram under my tank, and another smaller hang on tank refugium. Feel free to give suggestions, oppinions, experiences, or anything else you want to add about this list. The tank will be up for at least a year and a half before any pod eaters are added so I can grow my population.

1 - Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
1 - Orange Stripe Prawn Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
1 or 2 (bonded pair) - Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
1 or 2 (bonded pair) - Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
3 to 5 - Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra)
1 - Gold Assessor Basslet (Assessor flavissimus)
1 - Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
2 (pair) - Green/Red Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus)
1 male, 2 females - McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
1 male, 2 females - Filamented Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentosus)
2 females - Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
2 females - Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
1 - Horned Blenny (Hypsoblennius exstochilus)
1 - Sailfin Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
1 - Scooter Blenny (Synchiropus ocellatus)
1 - Blue Dot Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti)
1 - sailfin tang (Zebrasoma veliferum)
1 or 2 (pair) - Ventralis Anthias (Pseudanthias ventralis)
3 to 5 - Yellow Spotted Anthias (Pseudanthias flavoguttatus)
1 - Orange Stripe Prawn Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1 - Pink Spot Shrimp Goby (Cryptocentrus pavoninoides)
1 - Tribal Blenny (Ecsenius spp.)
1 male, 2 females - Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus linneatus)
2 females - Potter’s Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon geoffroy)

AlexS95
07/03/2011, 11:35 PM
I imagine the Firefish will fight, and you seem to have a lot of pod eaters.

button13
07/04/2011, 01:44 AM
I imagine the Firefish will fight, and you seem to have a lot of pod eaters.

I was worried about the firefish fighting. I read that they will fight unless they are a bonded pair. I was wondering if that applied to mixing two different subspecies though. I do need to narrow down my pod eaters, because I don't think I can keep up with them even if I seed the population monthly and get some of them feeding on frozen.

steelhead77
07/04/2011, 02:02 AM
You do realize that's 41 (or more) fish in a tank that's 6x2x2, right? That is one heck of a bio-load. I have 17 fish in my 180 and that is more than enough. It also seems to me that with all of those different gobies in there, there will be a lot of competition and probably quite a bit of fighting. Also, Leopard Wrasses are very hard to keep alive. They don't ship well and I think you might be pushing it trying to keep two.

My advice, scale back your plans by about a third and then see how it goes. Whatever you do, take it slow and don't overstock. The fish are a lot easier to put in than take out.

muitroc
07/04/2011, 02:20 AM
That sounds way overstocked. And pod eaters eat ALL day, not just during feeding time. Like previously mentions I believe that not only 2 but 6 leopard wrasses is well overdoing it. Even with a humongous sump you cannot keep all those in a 6 foot display. Especially that many varied types of wrasse and gobys and blennies. All three of those are very territorial.

I would get one blenny, 1 goby pair at first and see where they reside because if they travel the entire display all the time or frequently then stop with gobys, 2 harems of wrasse could be okay as long as everyone sticks to their territories ( I would co.pletely nix the leopard wrasses). I believe some anthias would be okay because they like to school. I know it seems off putting but just get a few fish here and there and look and observe how they live and then add another and watch some more.

Please do not just buy a bunch of fish because they are pretty. A healthy and not overloaded aquarium is much more satisfying than buying a bunch of creatures that want to kill eachother.

With that being said good luck and have fun with it. Don't overthink and don't overstock. Catching a fish that you don't want is more work than starting slow. Oh and post pics.

Thanks
Nick

muitroc
07/04/2011, 02:24 AM
A great idea is to post your list in the new to the hobby forum. One of the top stickies says check fish purchases here first. Snorvich aka steve gives pretty good and knowledgeable advice that I'm sure you could stand to gain from.

crvz
07/04/2011, 08:37 AM
I would also agree that you've got considerably more fish than I'd be comfortable with.

button13
07/04/2011, 06:56 PM
I already stated I won't be adding them all :) A third of them at most will be going in. I was mostly looking to see what in your experiences would be the most compatible fish. I also know the difficulties of the mandarins and leopard wrasses. It will be a LOOONG time before I even think about buying any of the pod eating species, which gives me plenty of time to research more and prepare for them. Thank you all for your help! Any more suggestions would be great :)

button13
07/05/2011, 08:39 PM
Okay, I think its getting there. Does anybody have oppinions on the revision?

1 - Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon atrangulatus)
1 - Orange Stripe Prawn Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
2 (bonded pair) - Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
5 - Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra)
1 - Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
2 (bonded pair) – Green OR Red Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus)
1 male, 3 females - Filamented Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentosus)
1 female - Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 female - Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
1 - Sailfin Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
1 male, 3 females - Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus linneatus)

AlexS95
07/05/2011, 11:51 PM
I really like the Zebra Dart's, I have one in my tank and when it isn't hiding in it's burrow it's a cool fish, but I wouldn't go with 5. (Just IMO)

button13
07/06/2011, 12:04 AM
I really like the Zebra Dart's, I have one in my tank and when it isn't hiding in it's burrow it's a cool fish, but I wouldn't go with 5. (Just IMO)

From all I have read, they prefer to be in groups rather than singly. I was going to go with either 3 or 5...I just can't decide! They sure are a really cool fish though, and since I nixed the Anthias, I thought it would be nice to have 1 group of schoolers.

CoralNerd
03/10/2015, 11:49 PM
From all I have read, they prefer to be in groups rather than singly. I was going to go with either 3 or 5...I just can't decide! They sure are a really cool fish though, and since I nixed the Anthias, I thought it would be nice to have 1 group of schoolers.
You still around old thread here, curious what did you get and how did it work out?