PDA

View Full Version : acro recovery

kevlow
07/04/2011, 05:33 AM
What is the point of no return for an acro? Once it has expelled it's zoanth. and has bleached will it ever color back again? If the base is still encrusting but the color is a pale tan can this recover if placed into a healthy tank with other healthy acros?

These two pieces did not fare well in a new tank so I have moved them to the established tank. I hope that I did not wait to long.

Thanks,
kevin

tibob32
07/04/2011, 06:23 AM
cant tell for acros, but I had a montipora that was pearly white that recovered, never give up until its completely dead

saltygeek
07/04/2011, 07:04 AM
I'be bleached mine more times than I'd like to remember :lmao: they generaly come back fine with tlc. The tan one will come back no problem. If there is flesh and polyps you still have a chance.

kevlow
07/04/2011, 08:06 AM
thanks for the replies. The RP is bone white bleached the Tri color is tan.

JSeymour
07/04/2011, 02:45 PM
If there is flesh, it can recover.

The key to them recovering is figuring out what caused them to bleach in the first place. Lighting, flow, temp, alkalinitly, or nutrients. These are the most likely causes IMO. Check them, correct them, and they should recover.

kevlow
07/05/2011, 03:09 PM
I believe that the Tri Color will make it. The Red Planet frag might be gone. Too high nutrients in the new [5-6 month old] 10g tank. I let it cycle and kept it coral free for two months. Being bare bottom I think It had too small an amount of LR. I do not think that there was sufficient bacteria/ bio activity to break down waste. Only one small 6 line and a cleaner shrimp but the five Turbo snails probably put it over.

I have pulled the pcs out that were suffering and put them into the stable flourishing tank. The newer tank will be disassembled soon as that my better half bought me a 35g shallow reef display, stand and 40b sump.

kevin