PDA

View Full Version : Acan care?

Crawdawg
07/04/2011, 02:03 PM
Here are my last water test params, just wondering if I could keep acans. I have 192 watt pc lights and a 24 inch deep tank.

Ph:8
Alkalinity:10 dKH
Nitrate: 0-5ppm API test kit not quite 5, but not zero either...lol.
Nitrite:0
Ammonia:0
Calcium:460
Temp:80.8

brannock_16
07/04/2011, 03:54 PM
The first question I have is what kind of acans are you thinking about? Lords, echinata, bowerbanki, etc?

IMO Calcium is a bit high...I aim for mine to be around 410-440 ppm. I would also be a bit concerned about the PC lighting. Acans DO NOT require high lighting, but they do tend to show better colors under better lighting.

I have an acan lord dominated tank with T5's on it and I always buy browned out frags because I know under my lighting in my tank they always bounce back and make an amazing recovery.

Other than that I would say if you can find a cheap frag buy it up and see how it goes. Start the frag low in your tank and see how it does. Then move it accordingly. And make sure after about a week or two after introduction you spot feed them once to twice a week.

OceanNut
07/04/2011, 09:40 PM
You're good. Stock up on the Acans.

Reef Bass
07/05/2011, 08:03 AM
pc lighting on a 24" deep tank? Maybe towards the top.

RokleM
07/05/2011, 01:05 PM
Missing the important test, mag.

Dana42078
07/05/2011, 04:24 PM
Missing the important test, mag.

So i have a ? One test kit i dont have is MAG, and i cant keep an acan or chalice for the life of me. Would this be because of low mag? What Mag test kit would you recommend?

Crawdawg
07/05/2011, 07:04 PM
I was thinking Lords, sorry for not specifying. Sounds like I need a mag test? I do weekly 10 percent water changes would that keep the mag and calcium up? I've got about 9 heads total of frogspawn, and a long tentacle plate, so far the calcium hasn't fluctuated, and the frogspawn is growing. If a mag test is recommended I'll definately get one.

RokleM
07/06/2011, 11:37 AM
So i have a ? One test kit i dont have is MAG, and i cant keep an acan or chalice for the life of me. Would this be because of low mag? What Mag test kit would you recommend?

Poly bailout and/or suffering LPS and low MAG is a common theme, yes. I've experienced it myself also.

Elos or Sailfert seem to be popular choices.

Hendogg0
07/09/2011, 12:05 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about it I know a couple people who have kept acans under pc and they are fine. They are nothing like sps and won't die on you for some small changes. Just start of with a couple and see how it goes