PDA

View Full Version : Does mixed saltwater go bad?

thereeftank
07/05/2011, 05:27 AM
I been looking around a lot of people have two bins for ro/di and another for saltwater storage. Just wondering why the two bins? Saltwater doesn't go bad, does it?

I use one bin, make ro/di overnight, then mix salt for about a day and then pump it out for the water change. Sometimes, I have saltwater left over and it's there for severals weeks, is it not recommended? So far I haven't seen any ill effects.

Chris27
07/05/2011, 05:46 AM
It doesn't go bad, just keep the container closed up and out of the light.

crvz
07/05/2011, 07:11 AM
you want to keep it moving in the container (a small powerhead), and some salts have a tendency to promote various algae growth on the container walls (reef crystals is pretty notorious for a brown algae), but it doesnt go bad per se.

clarky11
07/05/2011, 07:23 AM
there is no shelf life to mixed water. just keep a tight lid on your container so nothing gets into it.

bnumair
07/05/2011, 07:41 AM
as long as u keep it covered and keep it moving with a powerhead. i have 2 50 gal drums. 1 for rodi and 2nd for saltwater. both have mag 9 running all times and i keep a lid on them and use saltwater over weeks.

spieszak
07/05/2011, 07:46 AM
I'm assuming you have another spot to store top-off, or store it directly in a container for ATO... but a 47 post count doesn't scream experience... so, top off with fresh not salt.

Kingsnake
07/05/2011, 07:47 AM
Doesn't the PH drop?

Chris27
07/05/2011, 07:59 AM
Doesn't the PH drop?

Yep, but it can be brought back up with a powerhead and an open lid to exchange CO2 with O2.

Captainfester
07/05/2011, 12:18 PM
I'm assuming you have another spot to store top-off, or store it directly in a container for ATO... but a 47 post count doesn't scream experience... so, top off with fresh not salt.

this is posted in the new to the hobby thread...

Mindflux
07/05/2011, 12:22 PM

When did post count = experience? I've rarely seen this be the case.

Angel*Fish
07/05/2011, 03:53 PM
When did post count = experience? I've rarely seen this be the case.Rarely? Have you done a study on this subject? :lmao:

jlanger
07/05/2011, 07:46 PM

Rarely? Have you done a study on this subject? :lmao:

I would have to agree somewhat with Mindflux. Post count does not necessarily translate to experience.
I have been in (and out once) of the hobby since the early 1990's with over ten different FOWRL, reef and coral propogation set-ups, yet I have only 50 posts on Reef Central. Translates to I lurk; not inexperienced.
Just because some people have over one thousand posts, it doesn't automatically translate to experience. It could very well mean that person is very chatty.
But I would stay away from the word 'rarely'...

-JASON

Angel*Fish
07/05/2011, 08:31 PM
I would have to agree somewhat with Mindflux. Post count does not necessarily translate to experience.
I have been in (and out once) of the hobby since the early 1990's with over ten different FOWRL, reef and coral propogation set-ups, yet I have only 50 posts on Reef Central. Translates to I lurk; not inexperienced.
Just because some people have over one thousand posts, it doesn't automatically translate to experience. It could very well mean that person is very chatty.

-JASONJust to be clear, I did not say that post count is related to experience knowledge or even common sense. I just couldn't understand how anyone could use the word "rarely" as if they have some real statistics on it.

T-dub
07/05/2011, 08:52 PM
Everybody was at 47 posts at one point.

Chris27
07/06/2011, 05:42 AM

-JASON

Wait a min.....there is a world outside of Reef Central? :):):)

spieszak
07/06/2011, 07:13 AM

Of all the things I intended, starting a "what does post count mean" war wasn't one of them..
Just wanted to make sure someone wasn't topping off with salt water is all... and regardless of the OP's experience, I thought it worth posting for any newbie reading the thread.

DownwardDawg
07/06/2011, 07:52 AM
Of all the things I intended, starting a "what does post count mean" war wasn't one of them..
Just wanted to make sure someone wasn't topping off with salt water is all... and regardless of the OP's experience, I thought it worth posting for any newbie reading the thread.

I understood what you meant. I think your post was taken WAY OUT of context.

Angel*Fish
07/06/2011, 04:34 PM
i understood what you meant. I think your post was taken way out of context.+1 :)